Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Switching to SSD, but Mavericks won't restore startup HD problem

I 've finally got the Velocity duo x2 and a Samsung EVO SSD drive in-house.

After installing the hardware, I boot up my mac pro only to find Disk utility refuses to run a restore using the startup HD as the source.

Meaning, I can't clone my startup HD to replace it with the EVO.

I did this several times back with Snow Leopard.

But for some reason, it is no longer possible.

Googling for a solution, I find that I can perform this by restarting with the Restore System.

But the ALT or CMD-R key combos apparently do not work - unless there is some very precise timing involved.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to solve this situation?

Goal: To "restore", i.e. clone my startup HD to a Samsung SSD drive installed in a PCIe slot.

THanks + cheers;

E

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), 2.3GHZ 8-core, 16G RAM

Posted on Jun 26, 2015 3:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2015 3:49 PM

To boot from the Recovery partition are yo using a wired keyboard directly connected to the Mac?

You can't use the boot disk as a source to clone via Disk Utility

You can use the free SuperDuper to clone but that does not clone the Recovery Partition.

The paid Carbon Copy Cloner clones the recovery partion

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2015 3:49 PM in response to edvinpedvin

To boot from the Recovery partition are yo using a wired keyboard directly connected to the Mac?

You can't use the boot disk as a source to clone via Disk Utility

You can use the free SuperDuper to clone but that does not clone the Recovery Partition.

The paid Carbon Copy Cloner clones the recovery partion

Jun 26, 2015 5:33 PM in response to edvinpedvin

As lllaass says,

To use snag keys such as C-for-CD, D-for-Diagnostics, or Alt/Option for Startup Manager, your wired keyboard must be plugged into a USB port directly on the chassis, not on a display or other Hub. Hubs are made active too late to change the course of Startup.

also:

That timing is only important if you are using a wireless keyboard. If you are using a wired keyboard, feel free to hold that key from Startup, or even during Shutdown.

Switching to SSD, but Mavericks won't restore startup HD problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.