Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard drive not formatted correctly in early 2013 MacBook Pro with Retina display.

I've been trying to reinstall OS X Yosemite on my hard drive because of some various issues on my computer by starting up with a bootable flash drive. For some reason the hard drive doesn't show up as an option for the install drive. I checked Disk Utility to see if I could repair the issue, but the hard drive itself is all that appears (Macintosh HD) and there is no mounted volume that shows up as an option underneath the drive for me to install Yosemite on. The only options for the hard drive itself that are available in Disk Utility are verify and repair (both of which don't fix anything, as they find no problems). I cannot erase the drive and reformat it. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Early 2013

Posted on Jun 26, 2015 7:46 PM

6 replies

Jun 27, 2015 9:08 AM in response to Jonny Meyer

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It makes no changes to your data.

Please triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

{ diskutil list; echo; diskutil cs list; } | pbcopy

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing the key combination command-V. I've tested these instructions only with the Safari web browser. If you use another browser, you may have to press the return key after pasting.

Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear below what you entered.

The output of the command will be automatically copied to the Clipboard. If the command produced no output, the Clipboard will be empty. Paste into a reply to this message.

The Terminal window doesn't show the output. Please don't copy anything from there.

If any personal information appears in the output, anonymize before posting, but don’t remove the context.

Jul 3, 2015 5:29 PM in response to Jonny Meyer

You have a Core Storage logical volume group (LVG) with no members. Apple has not provided an easy way to recover from this unusual condition.

Quit Disk Utility if it's running.

In the OS X Utilities screen, select

Utilities Terminal

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Follow the procedure in this thread to delete the LVG. The long string of letters, numbers, and dashes that you will have to enter will be different in your case. Copy and paste it from the Terminal window into the command.

Quit Terminal to return to the main screen. You should then be able to partition the drive in Disk Utility (if that's what you want to do) and/or install OS X.

Hard drive not formatted correctly in early 2013 MacBook Pro with Retina display.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.