Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting dual monitors to 2010 Mac Pro???

Hi,

I already have one of my monitors hooked up via a DVI connection to the back of my Mac Pro. There is also another input next to the DVI input on the back of the Mac. Please see pic. Is this for hooking up a second monitor? If so, how do I do it? The input is rather small and must need some type of adapter?

User uploaded file

Thanks.

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Jun 26, 2015 5:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2015 5:42 PM

That connector is the same one used for ThunderBolt. But it is a subset of the full thunderBolt signals known as Mini DisplayPort. It can be adapted directly to a full sized DisplayPort with a "just wires" cable or adapter. It is considered "state of the art". There are many different adapters available, to other connection methods now referred to as "legacy" connections.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2015 5:42 PM in response to Tangerine_Dream

That connector is the same one used for ThunderBolt. But it is a subset of the full thunderBolt signals known as Mini DisplayPort. It can be adapted directly to a full sized DisplayPort with a "just wires" cable or adapter. It is considered "state of the art". There are many different adapters available, to other connection methods now referred to as "legacy" connections.

Jun 26, 2015 5:47 PM in response to Kappy

User uploaded file

These are all to the same scale except the DVI, which should be at least twice as wide as the others if all were to scale.

from this helper web-app on apple's site:

http://store.apple.com/us/mac/mac-accessories/cables/cable-chooser#!

Apple does not offer Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cables in their store, but they are cheap and readily available elsewhere.

Connecting dual monitors to 2010 Mac Pro???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.