Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't get a column to sum. And I'd appreciate a general usage article (if one exists). Thx

I can't get a column to sum. And I'd appreciate a genera usage article (if one exists). Thx

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jun 26, 2015 8:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 2:46 PM

Hey there Steveo11,

It sounds like you need a bit of assistance with getting a column to add together. Here is the section of the help menu that will walk you through that:

Calculate values using data in table cells

Quickly sum, average, or count a range of cells

You can quickly find the sum, average, minimum, maximum, count, or product of a range of cells.

1. Do one of the following:

• Select the range of cells you want to include in your formula. Numbers chooses a result cell based on your selection.

• Select a cell to display the result of the formula. You can’t insert a formula in a header cell.

2. Click User uploaded file in the toolbar, then choose a formula.

3. If you want to change the range of cells, double-click the result cell. The cells used in the formula are highlighted, and the formula editor appears. Do any of the following:

• Resize the selection of cells: Drag the colored dots.

• Move the selection: Drag up or down to change which rows are used, or drag right or left to change which columns are used. Moving the selection doesn’t change the number of cells selected.

4. Click User uploaded file to save your changes.

If you click User uploaded file, you exit the current cell without saving your changes.

Here is the main page for the Numbers Help:

Numbers Help

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care,

Sterling

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2015 2:46 PM in response to steveo11

Hey there Steveo11,

It sounds like you need a bit of assistance with getting a column to add together. Here is the section of the help menu that will walk you through that:

Calculate values using data in table cells

Quickly sum, average, or count a range of cells

You can quickly find the sum, average, minimum, maximum, count, or product of a range of cells.

1. Do one of the following:

• Select the range of cells you want to include in your formula. Numbers chooses a result cell based on your selection.

• Select a cell to display the result of the formula. You can’t insert a formula in a header cell.

2. Click User uploaded file in the toolbar, then choose a formula.

3. If you want to change the range of cells, double-click the result cell. The cells used in the formula are highlighted, and the formula editor appears. Do any of the following:

• Resize the selection of cells: Drag the colored dots.

• Move the selection: Drag up or down to change which rows are used, or drag right or left to change which columns are used. Moving the selection doesn’t change the number of cells selected.

4. Click User uploaded file to save your changes.

If you click User uploaded file, you exit the current cell without saving your changes.

Here is the main page for the Numbers Help:

Numbers Help

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care,

Sterling

I can't get a column to sum. And I'd appreciate a general usage article (if one exists). Thx

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.