Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I use my 2009 iMac as a monitor for my new 2015 MacBook Pro?

I have purchased a Thunderbolt cable and followed the instructions for setting up Target Display Mode. I have connected my 2009 iMac with my 2015 Mac Book Pro and pressed Command-F2 on the iMac but nothing happens. Can anyone tell me how to resolve this?

Thanks

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 27, 2015 12:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2015 1:44 AM

Target Display Mode: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - Apple Support

What are the requirements for TDM?

• A Mac notebook or desktop with a Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt connection
  • A Thunderbolt or Mini DisplayPort cable
  • A supported iMac with OS X 10.6.1 or later. The table below shows iMac computers that support TDM, the required cables, and the port of the computer to which you are connecting the iMac.

iMac Model

Cable Supported

Port on Source Computer

iMac (27-inch Late 2009)

Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort

Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010)

iMac (Mid 2011)

Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt

iMac (Mid 2012 and later)Thunderbolt to ThunderboltThunderbolt

Note that the iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) does not support Target Display Mode.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2015 1:44 AM in response to MacHelen

Target Display Mode: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - Apple Support

What are the requirements for TDM?

• A Mac notebook or desktop with a Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt connection
  • A Thunderbolt or Mini DisplayPort cable
  • A supported iMac with OS X 10.6.1 or later. The table below shows iMac computers that support TDM, the required cables, and the port of the computer to which you are connecting the iMac.

iMac Model

Cable Supported

Port on Source Computer

iMac (27-inch Late 2009)

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010)

iMac (Mid 2011)

Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt

Thunderbolt

iMac (Mid 2012 and later)Thunderbolt to ThunderboltThunderbolt

Note that the iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) does not support Target Display Mode.

Jun 30, 2015 11:13 PM in response to MacHelen

Dear Mike (or anyone else out there who's 'listening')

I have purchased a mini display to mini display cable (only available online) but still can't get TDM to work. I am thinking that despite being told otherwise in the local Apple Store, my late 2009 21.5" (not 27-inch) iMac screen may be the problem and that this function is not possible. Therefore, do you think I should throw the iMac in the bin and find another way of getting a larger monitor connected to my 13" Mac Book Pro? How do I best do that I wonder?

All advice gratefully received.

MacHelen

Jul 1, 2015 5:37 AM in response to SeaPapp

Thank you very much for responding. I am pretty annoyed with Apple Store staff who have messed me around on this matter with wrong advice from the very beginning. Lot of time and thinking and outlay on cable for no result. Such a pity not to be able to use the iMac. can you advise what external displays can I purchase that are compatible with Mac Book Pro 13 inch early 2015?

Cheers

Jul 1, 2015 11:53 AM in response to MacHelen

Did you mention to the staff at the Apple Store that your iMac was a late 2009 21.5"? I ask because you didn't mention it in your first post, if you had we would have told you right away thst it wouldn't work. Not trying to be snarky but maybe there was a lack of communication.

I use a Dell display with my Macbook.

Aug 26, 2015 2:00 PM in response to MacHelen

Good evening everybody,

I have some problem using my old Imac 27 late 2009 in Target Display Mode.

In fact, when I connect my Macbook pro late 2013 and the Imac through mini display cable and use the function CMD+F2 nothing happen... The screen of the Imac turn to black for a few seconds but then back to normal without TDM...

In addition, I precise that both of my computers are using Yosemite operating system.

What should I do? Any idea?

Thank you for your response

Regards,

P

Oct 12, 2015 2:51 PM in response to MacHelen

I got the same problem but from a new iMac to my late 2009 iMac, and I also went to an Apple Store for help, but as you were, I was mislead into getting a firewire cable and some sketchy instructions I jotted down in a paper. Apple does not sell MiniDisplay port to MiniDisplay port cable, neither online nor at the store, I don't know if they ever did, but I found one aftermarket MiniDisplay port to MiniDisplay port cable online which worked just fine.

Oct 12, 2015 3:01 PM in response to Pivk

Pivk wrote:

Good evening everybody,

I have some problem using my old Imac 27 late 2009 in Target Display Mode.

In fact, when I connect my Macbook pro late 2013 and the Imac through mini display cable and use the function CMD+F2 nothing happen... The screen of the Imac turn to black for a few seconds but then back to normal without TDM...

In addition, I precise that both of my computers are using Yosemite operating system.

What should I do? Any idea?

Thank you for your response

Regards,

P

It is best to create your own thread, particularly on one that has already been answered. I suspect you may be using a poor quality or wrong cable. Please use a Mini- Display port cable to connect your two machines together.

How do I use my 2009 iMac as a monitor for my new 2015 MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.