Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding tags to files and folders via applescript

Can anybody tell me if there is a script or workflow available that makes it possible to batch add tags to files and folders?

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Jun 27, 2015 5:30 AM

4 replies

Jun 27, 2015 9:53 PM in response to skylge93

Can you be more specific about what you're trying to do?

The only explicit 'tag' option is the Finder's labels, and yes, it's easy to label files/folders via AppleScript, but it's a unary thing - each item has a single label attached to it.

An alternative might be to add specific text to the 'Comments' section of the items' 'Get Info...' window. This, too, can be done via AppleScript, although it's a little more involved.

There may also be other interpretations of your request.

So before delving into script examples, what is it you're trying to achieve?

Jun 29, 2015 4:53 AM in response to Camelot

If I for instance select a folder the standard and press the left button the standard menu appears. This makes it possible to add tags via this part of the menu:

User uploaded file

If then I press ''Tags...'' this menu pops up. I can select the tags and then the folder is tagged.

User uploaded file

This works if you have a couple of files to label. But I was wondering if there is any script out on the web that simply lets me drag te files to a droplet then asks me for the tags and then the tags are batch-added so they can be archived more easily on my computer.

Jun 29, 2015 8:37 AM in response to skylge93

skylge93 wrote:

If I for instance select a folder and press the left button the standard menu appears. This makes it possible to add tags via this part of the menu:

If then I press ''Tags...'' this menu pops up. I can select the tags and then the folder is tagged.

This works if you have a couple of files to label. But I was wondering if there is any script out on the web that simply lets me drag te files to a droplet then asks me for the tags and then the tags are batch-added so they can be archived more easily on my computer.

You can also select as many folders and files as you wish, then click Tags… in the File menu.

User uploaded file

In other words, you don't necessarily need a script to tag more than one folder or file at a time.

Adding tags to files and folders via applescript

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.