Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Buy content outside family sharing

i want to buy a book but because I'm in family sharing iBooks wants to charge my husband. How do I pay for the book myself without leaving family sharing?

Posted on Jun 27, 2015 4:18 AM

4 replies

Jun 27, 2015 11:10 PM in response to scubelle

If you have a balance on your account then that should automatically be charged instead, if you don't have a balance then the organiser will be charged : Family purchases and payments - Apple Support

After you set up your family, any time a family member initiates a new purchase it will be billed directly to your account unless that family member has gift or store credit. First, their store credit will be used to pay the partial or total bill. The remainder will bill to the family organizer's card. As the family organizer, any receipts generated by the transaction will be sent to you

Jun 29, 2015 5:13 AM in response to scubelle

If you've bought a gift card then you should be able to redeem it onto your account : Redeem and use iTunes Gift Cards and content codes - Apple Support

And the balance on your account should then be available wherever you use that account (iBookstore, iTunes, app store, mac app store), as long as you are buying for yourself (gifting can't be done from a balance) then its purchase price should automatically be deducted from your balance

Jun 29, 2015 5:50 AM in response to King_Penguin

Again thank you @King_Penguin for your time and information. The system seems totally nuts to me - I want to buy a book that is €7.99 but can only buy a €25 gift voucher unless I get off my bum and go find a supermarket that sells iTunes gift cards at €15 (in which case I would just buy the real paper version of the book for under €10). My other options are to quit family sharing, buy the book and then rejoin family sharing - seems like a pain in the neck. Or I head over to kindle and buy it via Amazon and since my other half wouldn't probably be interested in this book it's probably the easiest solution to what seems to be a ridiculous problem.

Thank you though.

Buy content outside family sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.