Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using iMac (27-inch) as a monitor

Hi,

I have imac 27-inch model from Mid 2010. I would like to use it as a monitor for my pc (laptop), but when I connect my pc it automatically sends video to pc so instead of displaying pc on my imac, it display imac on my laptops monitor. How do I reverse this, insted of using laptop as a monitor I would like to use imac as a monitor?

note: I used HDMI and HDMI-to-mini display port adapter to connect pc and imac.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jun 27, 2015 5:56 AM

10 replies

Jun 27, 2015 2:30 PM in response to Alberto Ravasio

You can do it in a really complicated mode, however. First of all, you will need Parallels Desktop or VMWare VirtualMachine Boot. When you have that, run it and open it. Then click install Windows 10 Preview free. When it is done downloading, open it up and get the VirtualMachine started. Search with the new search bar in Windows 10 Preview for Remote Access. Enter the info, and then you can put it on your Mac. Here is a link to get Parallel Desktop for $80.

http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/

Hope this helped you out!

-J

Jun 28, 2015 12:05 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I'm not so sure my answer is incorrect.

From the page, I and you, linked

What is Target Display Mode (TDM)?

TDM allows you to use a supported iMac as an external display for another Mac computer using Mini DisplayPort or ThunderBolt cables.

At the same time the following seems to contradict the above

Can I use the iMac in TDM as a display for my gaming console, DVD player, or other device?

The Mini DisplayPort port on a supported iMac can receive DisplayPort compliant video and audio signals. Converters not made by Apple may provide options to convert other electrical, video, and audio protocols to Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt compliant signals.

Even this can lead to misinterpretation,

What are the requirements for TDM?

A Mac notebook or desktop with a Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt connection

because the first part of the statement "A Mac notebook or desktop", the desktop could be a Mac desktop or a generic desktop. If the latter the OP cannot use his/her laptop.

In medio stat virtus - truth lies somewhere in between 😀

Jun 28, 2015 3:25 PM in response to ik1701

ik1701 wrote:

Hi,

I have imac 27-inch model from Mid 2010. I would like to use it as a monitor for my pc (laptop), but when I connect my pc it automatically sends video to pc so instead of displaying pc on my imac, it display imac on my laptops monitor. How do I reverse this, insted of using laptop as a monitor I would like to use imac as a monitor?

note: I used HDMI and HDMI-to-mini display port adapter to connect pc and imac.

Use Teamviewer.

Jun 28, 2015 3:51 PM in response to Shadowisper

Shadowisper wrote:

rkaufman, none of our answers are wrong. Maybe you should read before you post...

Target display mode is a Mac only inter-Remote Access. The only way is to use a Windows Operating System Virtual Machine to see it.

-J

Perhaps you should read and learn to pay attention, the name is not rkaufman, it is rkaufmann87. It's attention to detail that gets jobs done. Oh,my original post is still correct.

Using iMac (27-inch) as a monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.