Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is wf.xml, and should I remove it?

OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jun 27, 2015 5:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2015 8:50 AM

It is an Excel 2004 spreadsheet. Do a backup. Try opening it to see what it contains and then decide if you want to delete it. Or just delete it.

7 replies

Jun 29, 2015 3:01 PM in response to yosie46

Just to avoid possible future confusion, an Excel spreadsheet is .xls for Office 2004 or earlier, and .xlsx for Office 2008 or 2011 (Mac versions). They're the same two extensions for the Windows versions of Excel, I just don't know which years for sure they changed without looking it up. I think it was Office 2010 for Windows when it went from .xls to .xlsx.

Anyway, an .xml file means (eXtensible Markup Language). Which is a file type used by many apps to save data. You can view them as text with TextWrangler if you want to see what's in them. It's essentially the same file format as Apple's .plist files. If you used an app like EasyFind to search for .xml on your drive, you'd find tons of them. OS X installs quite a few of them itself.

Can't say with any kind of certainty what app produced the file you found, but it would be harmless.

Jun 30, 2015 8:58 AM in response to David Cun

Yup, for the most part, XML data is nothing more than settings data. All kinds of apps use it. For each Nikon RAW .nef image you do changes to, it saves the changes as a .xmp file. But if you view that file, part of the first couple of lines note that it's XML data:

<x:xmpmeta xmlns:x="adobe:ns:meta/" x:xmptk="Adobe XMP Core 5.5-c002 1.148022, 2012/07/15-18:06:45 ">

<rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">

The same thing is noted at the top of any .plist file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.