Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos - Selling computer

This might be a dumb question, but I am about to wipe my current mac and purchase a new one. I've been using iCloud Photos to store my 15k + library. I'm assuming that clearing the mac back to its factory settings will not wipe the library in the cloud? Also, once I set up my new computer, I can reactive iCloud on that device and then once again have access to all of my pictures via the photos app on my new mac? Thanks in advance!

Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Jun 27, 2015 5:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2015 8:29 AM

Yes to both questions.

However I would never rely solely on cloud based storage for critical data. For safety's sake, backup your data locally as well before you erase your computer: Mac Basics: Time Machine backs up your Mac - Apple Support

Better safe than sorry.

Cheers,

Madison

2 replies

Jun 27, 2015 11:03 AM in response to hunter351

Do not relay on the iCloud Photo Library to preserve your image files in that situations. Follow MadisonP's suggestion of either doing a Time Machine backup of your hard drive or clone your hard drive to an external HD before preparing for sale.

Also follow the instructions in this Apple document to prepare it for sale: What to do before selling or giving away your Mac - Apple Support. It talso ells how to backup photos, documents, etc that are in the cloud and how to reauthorize the computer from your various accounts.

User uploaded file

Photos - Selling computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.