Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Max number of Rows in Numbers

Hi,

I have Numbers ver 3.5.3 on my macbook pro.

what is the max number of ROWS I can create on it.

I need around 500,000 rows in a file, is it possible?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jun 27, 2015 9:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2015 6:29 AM

Numbers won't do it, Excel will but I would expect it not to run well.

Realistically this would be better done with a database rather than a spreadsheet. (Libre Office Base)

Excel maximum: 1,048,576 rows by 16,384 columns, Libre Office has the same maximums as Excel.

3 replies

Jun 29, 2015 6:24 AM in response to Divakar P

Hi Divakar,

Just looking through the Numbers Function Browser, and randomly clicking on functions, I found this under the ADDRESS function. It could be that 65,535 rows or 255 columns (not both at once!) is the maximum that Numbers can handle.

The ADDRESS function constructs a cell address string from separate row, column, and table identifiers.

ADDRESS(row, column, addr-type, addr-style, table)

• row: A number value representing the row number of the address. row must be in the range 1 to 65,535.
  • column: A number value representing the column number of the address. column must be in the range 1 to 255.

As quinn says, wait for a definitive answer. Numbers is not Excel and will bog down with large tables. I suspect that a document with 500,000 rows is better suited to another app.

Regards,

Ian.

Max number of Rows in Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.