Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing snow leopard to external HD using Mac Mini

I have a 2009 Mac Pro. I am trying to install Snow Leopard using the install disk on one of the hard drives, which I have connected it as an external hard drive using a mac mini.

I get the "you cannot install this version of the application "install mac os x " with this version of os x", you have to install mac os x 23.1.1.

The problem is that i was running lion on my mac Pro, but it got corrupted and can't boot or anything into it, so am trying to use one of the other hard drives I have to create the new os x , use that and copy any docs back over. Anyone have any thoughts here? Thanks.

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jun 27, 2015 8:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2015 8:26 AM

Restart the computer with the disk in the drive and the C or Option key held down.

(129356)

4 replies

Jun 27, 2015 12:05 PM in response to TheCrustyOne

The reason for this drill is that the running version of Mac OS X tries to block installing an older version. If you boot DIRECTLY to the DVD, and Niel suggested, the running system is the one on the DVD itself, so it does not interfere. That suffices in most instances.

In particularly difficult situations, you sometimes have to completely erase the hard drive to remove all traces of the existing system before it will install the "older" one.

Jun 27, 2015 12:36 PM in response to TheCrustyOne

Never overlook what Carbon Copy Cloner can do for you and provide a bootable copy of a system hopefully before accidents, and do an integrity check.

Lion reqd you to jump thru a few hoops so hope you also saved and created a small installer drivre with it too.

Support for security and such would require free upgrade to 10.9.5+ and more support for newer graphic cards then as well.

Installing snow leopard to external HD using Mac Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.