Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Apple TV & Airplay to Projector with no audio

I am using an Apple TV mounted near and connected to a ceiling mounted projector with an HDMI to DVI cable. Since there is no audio in the DVI connector and anyway the projector has no speakers, I am unable to hear any audio from inputs from any iOS device which connects to the Apple TV and the projector. Most of the time this is OK, but there are times when I would like audio. It is impractical to mount a separate audio amp and connect to the Apple TV via the digital audio connector because it is a very high ceiling and it would be more trouble than it's worth to install speakers, etc.

What I would like is to be able to tell the iOS device to keep the audio available to its headphone jack. Is there any way to do this?

Posted on Jun 27, 2015 8:28 AM

8 replies

Jun 30, 2015 10:12 AM in response to Mobile Blues

Mobile Blues, unless you know something that I don't, you can have audio from the bluetooth device or the Apple TV - not both. In the AirPlay window, I can choose my iPhone, Apple TV or Bluetooth device. Selecting one disconnects the other. I would like to have the video on the Apple TV and the audio on my iPhone or the bluetooth device, but I don't know how to do this.

Have you actually been able to do this? If so, how?

Jul 2, 2015 6:49 AM in response to Mobile Blues

From reading some things on the Internet, I gather that you can only select multiple audio sources from iTunes on a computer, not from an iOS device. Further, it appears that this applies to music or audio only, not combined audio and video. Since I don't have any AirPlay speakers to try and before I purchase one, I would like to ask again, have you actually used AirPlay speakers to play video through an Apple TV to a projector and have the audio play through the AirPlay speakers wirelessly at the same time?

Jul 3, 2015 7:44 AM in response to Winston Churchill

WInston Churchill, thanks for the reply and information. I have used the optical audio in an installation where the Apple TV was in the equipment rack with the audio equipment and the projector was at a distance. In this instance the Apple TV is mounted on a beam near the projector and nowhere near the audio equipment. It would be possible to mount a digital converter near the Apple TV and route the analog audio to the equipment rack, but I was hoping to avoid all that work.

Using Apple TV & Airplay to Projector with no audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.