Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Netflix says I need to update my browser. How?

When I tried to open Netflix today, I got a message that I need to update my browser. I use Safari. When I hit the UPDATE NOW button it took me to the Safarid site, which had a lot of ads on it, but no detectable way of updating the browser. What now?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jun 27, 2015 10:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2015 6:08 PM

Backup your data before installing anything new.

First go to Apple menu -> About This Mac.

If it only says Mac OS X 10.7, you can't get the latest browser for 10.7. You'll need to install the 10.7.5 combo update from here:

OS X Lion Update 10.7.5 (Client Combo)

Then once you verify it installed successfully through Apple menu -> About This Mac, go to Apple menu -> Software Update. That will let you run the security updates which will bring you to Safari 6.1.6.

Mind you, you'll also need the latest version of Microsoft Silverlight

https://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/Get-Started/Install/Default.aspx

You may find a different browser with Silverlight is less trouble than having to upgrade your Safari.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2015 6:08 PM in response to John H. Hansen

Backup your data before installing anything new.

First go to Apple menu -> About This Mac.

If it only says Mac OS X 10.7, you can't get the latest browser for 10.7. You'll need to install the 10.7.5 combo update from here:

OS X Lion Update 10.7.5 (Client Combo)

Then once you verify it installed successfully through Apple menu -> About This Mac, go to Apple menu -> Software Update. That will let you run the security updates which will bring you to Safari 6.1.6.

Mind you, you'll also need the latest version of Microsoft Silverlight

https://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/Get-Started/Install/Default.aspx

You may find a different browser with Silverlight is less trouble than having to upgrade your Safari.

Jul 28, 2015 8:32 PM in response to Abyzak01

The webpage that both of you encountered (the one claiming to host a "Safari update") was bogus. In your case, it cannot harm your iPad. If you can figure out the cause, the real Netflix should not stop you from accessing its site.

The three most likely causes are that Netflix's site has been hacked (more unlikely, but possible), you both coincidentally typed the name wrong, and the "knock-off" site took you to that page, or your routers have been hacked.

Netflix says I need to update my browser. How?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.