Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I transfer data to an external hard drive from the built in flash drive on my macbook 12" with retina display? (if this is possible, I know i can get a usb type c to usb 3.0 adapter)

product name: macbook 12" 256 gigabytes PCIe based flash storage Technical Specifications: 1.1 gigahertz, turbo boost up to 2.4 gigahertz intel core m processor 8 gigabytes of memory intel 5300 graphics Ports: USB Type-C 3.1 port, 3.5 mm headphone/ external audio jack

Question: Using a usb type c 3.1 to usb 3.0 adapter/hub, can I transfer data from my macbook to an external hard drive, even though my macbook has a flash drive built in?

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 27, 2015 12:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2015 12:18 PM

Absolutely and in fact, that is strongly recommended as a means to backup your internal storage.

Just use Applications, Utilities, Disk Utility to format the external drive for Mac use.

1 reply

can I transfer data to an external hard drive from the built in flash drive on my macbook 12" with retina display? (if this is possible, I know i can get a usb type c to usb 3.0 adapter)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.