Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot get signal to monitor - No DVI Signal

Ok, I am ready to go off the deep end. I am getting a "No DVI Signal" to my monitor and cannot solve the issue.

Mac Pro, 2009

Snow Leopard

Asus 248-p Monitor

I have tried doing a fresh install to Snow Leopard to my hard drive - This didn't work. Note I can boot this hard-drive thru my mac mini, so don't think thats the issue.

I have another PC (Windows) that can use the Monitor, no problem (so don't think thats the issue)

I have cleaned off the memory. That didn't work.

I have changed the cables. That didn't work.

Any other suggestions?

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jun 27, 2015 10:53 AM

11 replies

Jun 27, 2015 11:29 AM in response to TheCrustyOne

Mac Pros are not PowerMacs. And PowerMacs are not from 2009 and PowerMacs don't run Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6). So let's get our facts straight so the advice can be concise. Please use this article to verify what you have:

Do I have a Power Mac?

Not that it really matters which machine you have, both PowerMac and Mac Pro could be connected to any digital display with DVI or ADC with the right adapter. The two most common graphics display connectors on these Macs were ADC & DVI:

User uploaded file

The Asus 248-p has a DVI connector. Now mind you, if you look at this image:

User uploaded file

You'll notice that DVI-D is different DVI-I. Apple uses DVI-I. You need to make sure the cable in question converts the right DVIs to each other. So look carefully at the connector on the display. The DVI-D is on top of the image, where DVI-I is on bottom of the image of the graphics card.

Notice how ADC has a rounded exterior connector all the way around, where DVI is more flat on one part of the width than the other.

Jun 27, 2015 6:38 PM in response to TheCrustyOne

so this worked before?

The message "No DVI Signal" produced by some displays should be read as "No useable signal, within the parameters of this display."

Sometimes the problem is caused by a display set to a wonky resolution, and there is an approved method to get it back.

Boot to Safe Mode. Hold down Shift at Startup, using a wired keyboard connected directly to a port on the Mac Pro chassis, not on a display or other USB Hub. Your Mac will take five minutes or so to do a Disk Utility (Repair Disk) and show you a progress bar. Then it will ask for your Username and password, even if you normally auto-login. Only a minimal set of Drivers are loaded, and the display (sans Driver) is set to a One-size fits all resolution and will be slow. Set the resolution again and save changes.

Then when you re-boot normally, it will take slightly longer as it rebuilds the kext cache. But you may be back to normal.

Cannot get signal to monitor - No DVI Signal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.