Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Malware assistance requested

Hey everybody,

We practice safe computing habits in my house, but we ran into trouble when our babysitter started playing with the computer and began playing a lot of web-browser based games. I had created a guest login for her to use, but honestly I just didn't consider the effect that this could have on the system.

Ever since she began playing games on the system (which we stopped pretty quickly), the system runs VERY slowly and must be restarted frequently due to windows freezing. I'm concerned that she may have downloaded some form of malware that is messing with the system.

I'm quite reticent to use third party software packages to modify my Mac system (or to do something that my mac is already doing), but I think that I have no other choices. Any recommendations on an appropriate package to explore this?

Thanks!

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i5

Posted on Jun 27, 2015 10:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2015 11:15 AM

I'm quite reticent to use third party software

So you should be. There is no need to download anything to solve this problem.

You may have installed one or more of the common types of ad-injection malware. Follow the instructions on this Apple Support page to remove it. It's been reported that some variants of the "VSearch" malware block access to the page. If that happens, start in safe mode by holding down the shift key at the startup chime, then try again.

Back up all data before making any changes.

One of the steps in the article is to remove malicious Safari extensions. Do the equivalent in the Chrome and Firefox browsers, if you use either of those. If Safari crashes on launch, skip that step and come back to it after you've done everything else.

If you don't find any of the files or extensions listed, or if removing them doesn't stop the ad injection, ask for further instructions.

Make sure you don't repeat the mistake that led you to install the malware. Chances are you got it from an Internet cesspit such as "Softonic," "CNET Download," or "SourceForge." Never visit any of those sites again. You might also have downloaded it from an ad in a page on some other site. The ad would probably have included a large green button labeled "Download" or "Download Now" in white letters. The button is designed to confuse people who intend to download something else on the same page. If you ever download a file that isn't obviously what you expected, delete it immediately.

Malware is also found on websites that traffic in pirated content such as video. If you, or anyone else who uses the computer, visit such sites and follow prompts to install software, you can expect more of the same, and worse, to follow. Never install any software that you downloaded from a bittorrent, or that was downloaded by someone else from an unknown source.

In the Security & Privacy pane of System Preferences, select the General tab. The radio button marked Anywhere should not be selected. If it is, click the lock icon to unlock the settings, then select one of the other buttons. After that, don't ignore a warning that you are about to run or install an application from an unknown developer.

Still in System Preferences, open the App Store or Software Update pane and check the box marked

Install system data files and security updates (OS X 10.10 or later)

or

Download updates automatically (OS X 10.9 or earlier)

if it's not already checked.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2015 11:15 AM in response to Myst00009

I'm quite reticent to use third party software

So you should be. There is no need to download anything to solve this problem.

You may have installed one or more of the common types of ad-injection malware. Follow the instructions on this Apple Support page to remove it. It's been reported that some variants of the "VSearch" malware block access to the page. If that happens, start in safe mode by holding down the shift key at the startup chime, then try again.

Back up all data before making any changes.

One of the steps in the article is to remove malicious Safari extensions. Do the equivalent in the Chrome and Firefox browsers, if you use either of those. If Safari crashes on launch, skip that step and come back to it after you've done everything else.

If you don't find any of the files or extensions listed, or if removing them doesn't stop the ad injection, ask for further instructions.

Make sure you don't repeat the mistake that led you to install the malware. Chances are you got it from an Internet cesspit such as "Softonic," "CNET Download," or "SourceForge." Never visit any of those sites again. You might also have downloaded it from an ad in a page on some other site. The ad would probably have included a large green button labeled "Download" or "Download Now" in white letters. The button is designed to confuse people who intend to download something else on the same page. If you ever download a file that isn't obviously what you expected, delete it immediately.

Malware is also found on websites that traffic in pirated content such as video. If you, or anyone else who uses the computer, visit such sites and follow prompts to install software, you can expect more of the same, and worse, to follow. Never install any software that you downloaded from a bittorrent, or that was downloaded by someone else from an unknown source.

In the Security & Privacy pane of System Preferences, select the General tab. The radio button marked Anywhere should not be selected. If it is, click the lock icon to unlock the settings, then select one of the other buttons. After that, don't ignore a warning that you are about to run or install an application from an unknown developer.

Still in System Preferences, open the App Store or Software Update pane and check the box marked

Install system data files and security updates (OS X 10.10 or later)

or

Download updates automatically (OS X 10.9 or earlier)

if it's not already checked.

Jun 27, 2015 6:02 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply and for the detail with which you did. I want to clarify that I'm not getting pop-ups and I don't have any extensions; I have not installed BitTorrent or any third party software packages. I deliberately held off on installing any software to address this and I appreciate you pointing out that those packages wouldn't be helpful. I went through these steps and didn't find any folders or programs.

The problem that I've run into is that now my computer performance stalls out frequently and, given the time frame for the reduction in performance (and the corresponding indiscretion of the user), it makes sense to me that I should suspect some form of malware or virus. The mis-use of the system has been stopped as of a few months ago, but the performance remains very poor.

When I went through activity monitor to look for the different programs, I noted that just at baseline - with only Finder, Activity Monitor and Safari loaded, my CPU was running at about 50% and the drive was making all of the sounds that it would if it were trying to load multiple larger files. This makes me worry that something is running in the background that I can't see and would be responsible for the significant performance drop of my system.

Another option that I had considered is that my system could just be aging out - it is a 2010 iMac, after all. We had considered just buying a new system, but I want to be as sure as I can be that it's not a software issue. We use Time capsules to back up our systems and I would plan to restage the new computer based on the contents of what I have now. If I have a bad piece of software, then I would simply recreate the same problem in a new machine.

I would really appreciate any further thoughts that you can share. Thanks again for your time and energy.

Jun 27, 2015 6:23 PM in response to Myst00009

When you see a beachball cursor or the slowness is especially bad, note the exact time: hour, minute, second.

These instructions must be carried out as an administrator. If you have only one user account, you are the administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Each message in the log begins with the date and time when it was entered. Scroll back to the time you noted above.

Select the messages entered from then until the end of the episode, or until they start to repeat, whichever comes first.

Copy the messages to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of it useless for solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

When you post the log extract, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

Jun 28, 2015 6:11 AM in response to Myst00009

Myst00009 wrote:

I had created a guest login for her to use, but honestly I just didn't consider the effect that this could have on the system.

If she was only able to use a non-admin user account, she shouldn't have been able to do anything that would affect the whole system. Unless there was some point when she actually had access to and admin account, or if she were able to guess or locate an admin account password (if it were on a sticky note near the computer, for example), the only changes she would have been able to make would affect only the account you gave her to use.

Download a copy of EtreCheck:

http://etrecheck.com

It was created by a regular contributor here and is trustworthy. Run it and post a copy of the report it generates here. That will give us more information about what's going on with your system.

Jul 4, 2015 5:07 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks so much! I have no idea what changed as none of the steps in your first email resulted in any definite visible success (i.e. files that I could delete), but my computer runs fine now and I have no more lag spikes. This is bizarre to me as this had been a constant problem for the past few months, but I won't complain....

Many thanks!

Malware assistance requested

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.