Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP Printer Update 3.1- Laserjet 5 MP

I see a new version of HP Printer Software (Update 3.1) is available. I am currently printing with a Laserjet 5MP through a print server, and I am using the driver supplied with HP Printer Software Update 3.0.

Software update 3.1 contains a newer driver than what I have. However, Software Update 3.1 lists the Laserjet 5M, 5P, and 5Si, and does not list the 5MP.

HP Software Update 3.0 did list my printer.

Should I leave well enough alone, or take the risk of installing this update?

Thanks

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jun 27, 2015 1:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2015 1:35 PM

Install the update. It should work OK. If it doesn't then reinstall the older driver. This won't cause any problems. If it does, then see the following:

Printers not behaving? Reset them and start from scratch | MacIssues

Mac OS X- How to reset the printing system

6 replies

Jul 2, 2015 6:55 PM in response to Kappy

Just for the record:

This update does include a PPD for the Laserjet 5MP, and I now have an updated driver, with no issues. (Other than it having installed PPDs for a long list of HP printers I don't own).

It worked OK, and should do so for anyone else who owns a Laserjet 5MP.

Consider the case closed!

Jul 10, 2015 8:48 AM in response to gh1852

A possible workaround for printer and scanner until the HP printer driver 3.1 is replaced.

This is for Ethernet, printer might work with USB but I do not have a USB cable to test.

No idea what features are missing except scanner dpi resolution.

Find printer IP address by using Setup Menu -> Network

This worked for printing,

Use printer & scanner preference to add printer via IP address

Select for protocol HP Jetdirect - Socket

Use (bottom line) Generic PCL Laser Printer

This worked for scanning.

Use the printer IP address in a browser.

User uploaded file

Jul 10, 2015 11:05 AM in response to rabelscotia

Hi:

Unfortunately, it's clear that Apple has taken HP Printer Update v. 3.0 off of its website, and I can't find any alternative links. I have all 500 MB or whatever it was on an external hard drive (I'm pretty sure), and I'm sure that installing it would work OK, but I would have to do quite an upload to Dropbox or somewhere to get it to you.

Let me know if that is something you would want to pursue.

HP Printer Update 3.1- Laserjet 5 MP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.