Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My macbook shuts down if the cursor isn't moving

I have a mid 2010 13 inch macbook.

I returned to it today after putting it to sleep and it wouldn't boot up unless I continually moved the cursor. I have tried restarting it and can't think of a reason why it would do this as there has not been any dramatic changes.

Thank you for your help in advance.

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 27, 2015 11:37 AM

5 replies

Jun 29, 2015 11:46 AM in response to SeaPapp

Not good news.. I tried the SMC reset without the power cable plugged in and nothing worked. Brought it home to try again with the power cable plugged in and it won't even turn on now. The power cable doesn't light up when connected either.

The only thing I have done is remove the back plate and unscrew three screws from the battery - I didn't even manage to disconnect it so I'm puzzled to why it won't turn on now.

Probably a silly question, but can faults like this be claimed under home/contents cover? (UK) thank you.

Jun 29, 2015 12:01 PM in response to MrsTeriyaki

You followed the wrong procedure to reset the SMC as you have a macbook that you're shouldn't remove yourself. The procedure for your macbook is;

Mac notebook computers that have a battery you should not remove include: MacBook Pro (Early 2009) and later, all models of MacBook Air, MacBook (Late 2009), and MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015).

To reset the SMC:

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe or USB-C power adapter to a power source and to your computer.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

On MagSafe power adapters, the LED might change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

My macbook shuts down if the cursor isn't moving

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.