Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cinema Display PC = Usable USB?

I have a 27" Apple Cinema Display (the model before Thunderbolt). I was thinking of getting a PC with an NVIDIA GTX 970 card with a displayport output. The monitor has a Mini DisplayPort cable that is attached that normally, when plugged into a MacBook Pro, will also give access to the USB ports in the back of the monitor.

My question: If I plug this cable into the PC graphics card, will I still get access to those USB ports? I'll be running Windows 8.1.

Posted on Jun 27, 2015 12:53 PM

5 replies

Jun 28, 2015 4:19 PM in response to TheJase

<https://support.apple.com/kb/SP597>

"One cable with three connectors: Mini DisplayPort with audio support, universal MagSafe (up to 85W), USB 2.0"

If there's no USB plug, you may have the Thunderbolt version. A Thunderbolt plug looks the same as Mini DisplayPort, but won't work with a non-Thunderbolt computer.

Look at the back of the display. The Thunderbolt version will have more than just USB ports. It will have FireWire, Ethernet, and a Thunderbolt port on the back.

Cinema Display PC = Usable USB?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.