Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Install an SSD on a MacPro with all four drive slots filled.

I have a 2012 Mac Pro an HD system drive and the other three drive slots are in a 6 gig raid. I'd like to replace my spinning system drive with an SSD but I can't take the raid down so there's so way to get power to the SSD for making a clone of the system drive. I have a raid card in the MacPro so I could get data to the SSD but how to get power to the SSD for the cloning? I already have the SSD on an OWC blue sled but can still reach the SSD connectors. How can I get power to the SSD for the transfer?

iPad 2, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jun 27, 2015 1:38 PM

5 replies

Jun 27, 2015 4:59 PM in response to Kappy

OK, I have a Samsung 850 EVO. All the utilities for it end in .exe. I don't think they had the Macintosh in mind for this drive. So I tried your idea and I saw the SSD and tried to partition it. Got the apparently famous error, "Wiping volume data to prevent future accidental probing failed." And that's apparently the end of that exercise. Googled this error and found dozens who also got it and they seemed to blame a sata cable. I didn't buy the deluxe kit so I didn't get the neat little USB version of the cable that I guess does work. So gotta try something else.

I reasoned, I have an external backup system drive that's up to date. I make that my startup drive, tested it and it worked. Then I pull the real system drive in slot one after I've left the MacPro starting up with the backup system drive and replaced the drive in slot one with the Samsung 850 on the neat little OWC sled. Now I can restart with the backup system drive and then successfully partition the SSD because there won't be any sata cable...it's a direct connect. So I restart the MacPro and all I get is a flashing question mark. Powered down, rechecked the cables, and once again only the question mark.

Apparently even to start up on the backup system drive, the real system drive has to be in slot one and not the unpartitioned Samsung! Drats! Well I put the real system drive back in slot one, restarted the Mac and behold it restarted on the backup system drive like it was supposed to before but didn't. So much for that scheme.

On the MacPro in my audio suite I did the SSD thing with no trouble at all a few months ago because I had an extra hard drive slot open and that 850 just partitioned right up, and carbon copy easily cloned the system drive to it and it's been happy ever since. But remember this MacPro has the system drive in slot one and slots 2,3 &4 have two gig spinning drives that are raided together so I can't just pull one...that's a no..no!

I'm thinking now that maybe I can use an empty slot in the Audio Mac Pro and at least partition the Samsung or even clone it with that OS and then bring it back to the video Mac Pro start it up in slot one and then clone the video backup starting drive over to the Samsung. Does that sound like it would work?

Jun 27, 2015 5:18 PM in response to Steve Garman

I'm thinking now that maybe I can use an empty slot in the Audio Mac Pro and at least partition the Samsung or even clone it with that OS and then bring it back to the video Mac Pro start it up in slot one and then clone the video backup starting drive over to the Samsung. Does that sound like it would work?

Yes, that should work.

Jun 28, 2015 9:26 AM in response to Steve Garman

Steve Garman wrote:

...But remember this MacPro has the system drive in slot one and slots 2,3 &4 have two gig spinning drives that are raided together so I can't just pull one...that's a no..no!...

Unless you've got something in the second optical drive position, check out this adapter from OWC. It'll fit the 5,1 Mac Pros, which both the 2010 and 2012 are.

How to Install an SSD on a MacPro with all four drive slots filled.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.