Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Least expensive type of RAM for 2010 Mac Pro???

Hi,

What is the least expensive type of RAM I can install in my 5,1 2009-2010 Mac Pro? Also, is it hard to do a self-install?

User uploaded file

Thanks.

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Jun 27, 2015 7:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2015 8:01 PM

Don't by RAM from anywhere other than OWC or Crucial. Macs are notoriously picky about RAM. Installing it yourself is relatively easy, but trying to do it on the cheap will be a disaster.

14 replies

Jun 28, 2015 7:53 AM in response to Tangerine_Dream

check out the display in:

Activity Monitor > Memory

• Anything other than all green when you are doing your most intensive work indicates that you will get a substantial speedup from having more real RAM memory.

• already all green indicates the effect of more memory will be more subtle.

Most Mac Pros used for professional work are I/O bound, unless you have worked to fix the inherent I/O bottlenecks. If you are using one drive for everything, changing to a Boot Drive organization (with User data on another drive) will give you a remarkable speedup. If the boot drive is a fast drive, the payback will be higher. If the Boot Drive is a low latency SSD, the improvement will be remarkable -- like having a new machine.

User Tip: Creating a lean, fast Boot Drive

Another way to get additional speed improvement while editing, although not as pronounced as using a separate Boot Drive, is to use separate drives for each of:

System/Boot/Applications (with "regular" User data on a different drive)

Source for editing input

Destination for editing output

Scratch/Sound sample Library of appropriate size for work files

Jun 28, 2015 3:04 PM in response to Tangerine_Dream

With due respect to Csound1 and KiltedTim, I agree with Grant Bennett-Adler that if you are now seeing the memory pressure go up into the red regularly or even into the yellow much of the time, then you will notice the payback of more physical memory. Switching to an SSD for the system/paging volume will certainly help also, of course. As KiltedTim mentioned, a lot depends on just what combination of things you are doing.

Jun 28, 2015 3:10 PM in response to markwmsn

markwmsn wrote:

With due respect to Csound1 and KiltedTim, I agree with Grant Bennett-Adler that if you are now seeing the memory pressure go up into the red regularly or even into the yellow much of the time, then you will notice the payback of more physical memory.

If it is you have a point, but with 16GB already fitted it's very very unlikely.

Least expensive type of RAM for 2010 Mac Pro???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.