Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Photos will not update on Apple TV

So I have a MacBook Pro 2015 version, iPhone 6, iPad 4th Gen, and Apple TV, I don't know the number, Christmas 2015 version.

I have all of my photos on my iCloud Drive and I use the photos app on my devices to organize them and create albums. I created a new album today with existing pictures from my iPad and it appeared on my MacBook Pro and iPhone relatively quickly. It never showed up on my Apple TV. 9 hours later it still isn't showing.

I did some research online. I went into:

Settings-->iCloud-->iCloud Photos Settings and I turned off "My Photo Stream" and "iCloud Photo Sharing"

Settings-->General-->Restart

Settings-->iCloud-->iCloud Photos Settings and I turned on "My Photo Stream" and "iCloud Photo Sharing"

Now I only have "My Photo Stream" and "Activity" listed in my photos on Apple TV.

Does anyone know what is going on here?

Also, I thought the "Photo Stream" was gone and was replaced with the iCloud Drive way of managing things. What is up with that?

Apple TV

Posted on Jun 27, 2015 10:01 PM

13 replies

Jun 28, 2015 2:12 AM in response to phkc070408

Firstly you need to add the albums to the home sharing list, which you can do in iTines > File > Home Sharing > Choose Photos, then you need to look in Computers > Photos on the Apple TV, not the Photos app which is just for photo stream (my photo stream and shared albums), although if you have photo stream enabled, you should be able to see your new photos there too, albeit not in the album you created.

Jun 29, 2015 7:15 AM in response to phkc070408

iCloud Photos isn't available on the Apple TV, I think the icon they use for the Photos feature on the Apple TV may mislead some people and indeed it may be a long term intention for iCloud photo library to be available, but not for now.

Photo stream is a separate feature from iCloud photo library and can be used alongside it although when iCloud photo library is enabled on a mobile device or a mac photo stream becomes hidden. New photos are added to photo stream but only stay there for 30 days, which should allow you to import them to other devices if you aren't using iCloud photo library.

Jun 29, 2015 1:43 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Well, it's funny because I did have my albums from Photos on the iCloud Photos App on my Apple TV. I only noticed a problem when I created a new album and it wouldn't show. That's when I noticed the problem.

Also, the photos on the Computers App on the Apple TV, they are very slow to load. I use the photos from the Photos App on my MacBook Pro. The photos are stored in my iCloud drive. Would they load faster if I used the pictures on my local computer rather than the iCloud drive versions?

Jul 24, 2015 12:05 PM in response to phkc070408

Yes, more instances of Apple not completely thinking it through. I want to be a beta tester next. I should have one iCloud Photo Library that any device can access without signing out of their own iCloud settings to access THE ONE that is associated with the library. Let's have admin rights (so my daughter doesn't delete all the pictures on the library) and be able to easily access the entire library at anytime anywhere on any device. Same thing they did with music, let's make it happen for photos. I want to watch it on my Apple TV easily, I want to be able to log into the library to organize/edit, but keep the photos on every user'd device separate until they decide to upload to the "Master library". That is how it should be!

iCloud Photos will not update on Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.