Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will iPlayer EVER make it to AppleTV? Streaming is poor alternative

I'm getting quite annoyed with BBC catchup given my slightly unusual setup.

- Got a not-too-smart-TV which doesn't have iPlayer.

- Got Sky which has seriously hobbled BBC catchup

- Got AppleTV that doesn't have iPlayer

- Got various iDevices and MacBooks which stream fairly jerkily via airplay to the TV.

In lieu of an AppleTV app for iPlayer, can I at least get an understanding on why the powers that be (presumably the BBC and Apple) consider this to be in the best interests of all concerned?

Or do I have to buy one of those Android sticks?

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 12:48 AM

11 replies

Jun 29, 2015 8:17 AM in response to vazandrew

If I thought there was a decent chance that it might solve my problem, I'd do it (or pay someone else to), but it seems that many people are just stuck with poor quality airplay and there's nothing they can do about it!

I should explain that I have spent some time on this without much joy. Disabling WMM and lowering resolution helped to some degree but then I ran out of options and decent diagnostic tools.

A workaround for me is to plug the laptop into the same hub as the AppleTV.

Clunky but effective....

Jun 29, 2015 11:32 AM in response to Alexander Lake

Yes, it's quite an odd omission as of 2015 on my view as are other UK catch up channels.

A few years ago I would not have expected BBC iPlayer but SmartTVs/internet enabled devices were then fewer - now most DVD/BluRay players/Freeview/Freesat tuners will have such features for the UK market.

My TVs are older and unfortunately it seems you almost need several devices to get the full complement of services you might want.

One of the issues I believe is that there would be so many permutations of apps required for each market that Apple may not want to invest time devoting resources much outside the US unless it's say for Sky Now where Apple will get a cut of subscription fees if set up via AppleTV. That said if Samaung/LG etc can add market specific catch up features to similar products perhaps Apple are just getting behind the times....

Provided Apple offered an AppleTV SDK it could then fall to BBC etc to produce their own services and offer them to Apple - this may be what happens anyway, in which case maybe the Beeb have different fish to fry.

Also bear in mind current AppleTv has no proper storage - catchup TV will be streaming, unless they implemented a fixed quality system with buffering.

If you have Apple portable devices with BBC iPlayer consider an HDMI adapter to feed the TV from those.

Will iPlayer EVER make it to AppleTV? Streaming is poor alternative

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.