Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Have a 2011 17"MacBook Pro with a SSD drive. Problems with white screen on boot up. Checked drive via Disk Utility, reset Pram, reinstalled leopard, still having the problem, any ideas

Have a 2011 17"MacBook Pro with a SSD drive. Over a period I experienced a screen freeze and had to reset via the power button. I then started to have a white screen on boot up. I have checked and repaired the drive via Disk Utility, no problems there, reset the PRAM and NVRAM, again no problems. Decided to format the drive, reinstalled Leopard, which ran superbly. Decided to upgrade to Yosemite, downloaded direct from Apple, instead of using the Time Machine full back up. Once installed, updated the software, then, downloaded what I needed from a Time Machine back up. Mac run well for a few days, then, the problem recurred. Was wondering if the problem might have been initially transferred to the back up, and was then transferred back to the Mac via time machine, although Apple assured me this cannot happen. Anybody have any ideas? Its driving me nuts

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), SSD

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 1:10 AM

11 replies

Jun 28, 2015 2:22 AM in response to An Old International

When you have problem not the exact time they started. The, rebooting as necessary, open the Console app in Finder>Applications>Utilities and look for log entries at that time. Post suspicious ones here.

You also may have this problem

http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

This is the Mac Pro desktop forum. I requested your post be moved to the MacBook Pro laptop forum.

Jun 29, 2015 2:29 AM in response to lllaass

Many thanks for your help, and sorry for the slow reply. The problem is intermittent. My Mac worked fine last night, then crashed leaving a grey screen. I did a reboot and its worked fine since. I have gone through all the steps, and checked the sad with disk utility, which showed no problem. I do remember having a fault when it was still under Applecare. Occasionally I would get a blue screen, however I thought it might be a software glitch. I think I might visit the genius bar.

Jun 29, 2015 2:59 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

This is mad. It won't allow any type of test, in as much that after carrying out the process, the Apple logo appears, disappears, then after a few seconds re-appears, then boots too the home screen. My Mac was tailored to my requirement, 250 SSD drive, with 8 gig ram. I have tried both the hardware test/and diagnostics test. On each occasion, the Apple start up loading logo appear's, then disappears, then, after reappearing the boot countdown starts, then the home screen appears. I wonder if there is an intermittent fault with the drive, or the existing fault, which might have been transferred to the time machine back up, was transferred back again when I selected the files I needed from this back up. Im calling into my local Apple shop this morning to see if they can further advise. One of the lads who answered my query on this forum, informed me that there were issues with Macs post 2011 with this type of problem

Have a 2011 17"MacBook Pro with a SSD drive. Problems with white screen on boot up. Checked drive via Disk Utility, reset Pram, reinstalled leopard, still having the problem, any ideas

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.