Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clean Install and SDD's...

Hello.

I'm on a MacBook Air - 2014 model with OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 installed.

For the first time since I have this Mac, I want to perform a clean installation!! And by clean, I mean, really!!!!! clean it's SDD!!

I'm very used to perform such a thing on HDD of other Mac's I own, but I never tried on an SDD before...

Since, technically, an SDD is quite different compared to HDD, can anyone give me some advice on how to clean install?

Obviously, I have a backup of all my files. I don't want to make a backup with Time Machine because I really want to re-install very specific software I bought!

I want the old versions of those softwares (not Apple apps) to be completely erased from my Mac's SDD!!

I read (somewhere) that it's not possible to perform, on an SDD, the same types of erase that we could perform on a HDD...

So... any thoughts or good tutorials out there?

Very thankful for any information you may provide me with.

All the best.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 3:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 5:31 AM

Boot the MBA with The OPTION + COMMAND + R keys.

The display should show a revolving globe.

By following the instructions, you will be connected to the Apple servers.

From the 4 option menu, select Disk Utility.

Reformat the SSD via Disk Utility>Erase to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Then select the reinstall OSX option. That for a 2014 MBA will be Mavericks, the original OSX.

You will need a solid Internet connection.

Ciao.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2015 5:31 AM in response to JMPC

Boot the MBA with The OPTION + COMMAND + R keys.

The display should show a revolving globe.

By following the instructions, you will be connected to the Apple servers.

From the 4 option menu, select Disk Utility.

Reformat the SSD via Disk Utility>Erase to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Then select the reinstall OSX option. That for a 2014 MBA will be Mavericks, the original OSX.

You will need a solid Internet connection.

Ciao.

Jul 1, 2015 4:33 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Hello Ogelthorpe,

Indeed it works just the way you said.

May I ask another question? Since the most recent version of OS X is Yosemite, why does Internet Recovery ask me to install OS X Mavericks?!

Shouldn't he ask for the most recent version?

(This question is just out of curiosity since I have a SD backup for both versions).

Thank you in advance.

Jul 1, 2015 5:04 AM in response to JMPC

JMPC wrote:

Since the most recent version of OS X is Yosemite, why does Internet Recovery ask me to install OS X Mavericks?!

Shouldn't he ask for the most recent version?

No. That particular option will install the ORIGINAL OSX that the MBP came with when new. There may be circumstances when that is to the users advantage (ex: A given application is not compatible with a newer OSX). Obviously you can install a newer OSX over it if so desired or needed.

Ciao.

Clean Install and SDD's...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.