Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Security

should I instal Norton Internet Security on my iMac or does it have sufficient security built in?....I have a spare NIS license I could use.

I Am a little reluctant to add NIS since previous experience with NIS on a PC seems to slow down PC operation.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 2:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 2:13 AM

No. You don't need it, your Mac will look after itself if you browse carefully and only order apps from THE DEVELOPER or Apple. Do not order anything that has the name Downlite, Softonic, Macpaw or Zeobit involved.

9 replies

Jun 28, 2015 3:08 AM in response to Laenfj

In case you have any doubts:

Norton Antivirus (made by Symantec) has a very long and illustrious reputation for mangling Mac OS X systems, sometimes to the point where a complete reinstall is necessary. Among other things, it installs kernel extensions which are known to cause kernel panics and system freezes; it contains known and documented bugs which can silently corrupt Adobe Photoshop and Adobe InDesign files, destroy a user's ability to authenticate as an administrator, and (on PPC systems) can cause Classic to stop functioning; and Symantec has on at least two occasions now released flawed .dat file updates which erroneously report certain critical Mac OS X files as "viruses." (Deleting these "viruses" causes damage to the system that in some cases renders it unbootable.)

Norton has also been reported as damaging iPhone backups.

A major security flaw in Norton has also been noted:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/15/05/08/contentious.utility.ignored.apple.guideli nes.created.zero.day.exploit.128538/

iMac Security

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.