Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail won't open

So I recently did the security update for my MacBook, and since that time the mail app won't open or receive emails. if you click on the icon the app with start running but no windows with open up. I really have no idea what to do and would appreciate any suggestions!h

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 7:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 8:20 AM

Quit Mail. Force quit if necessary.

Back up all data before proceeding.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder

from the menu bar. Paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V, then press return.

A folder window will open. Inside it there should be files with names as follows:

Envelope Index

ExternalUpdates.storedata

Move those files to the Desktop, leaving the window open. Other files in the folder may have longer names that begin as above. Move those files, if any, to the Trash.

Relaunch Mail. It should prompt you to re-import your messages. You may get a warning that the index is damaged and that Mail has to quit. Click OK. Typically, the process takes a few minutes, but it may take hours if you have gigantic mailboxes. In that case, you may be able to speed things up by temporarily adding your home folder to the Privacy list in the Spotlight preference pane. Remove it when Mail has finished importing.

Test. If Mail now works as expected, you can delete the files you moved to the Desktop. Otherwise, post your results.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2015 8:20 AM in response to roxy__gurl

Quit Mail. Force quit if necessary.

Back up all data before proceeding.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder

from the menu bar. Paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V, then press return.

A folder window will open. Inside it there should be files with names as follows:

Envelope Index

ExternalUpdates.storedata

Move those files to the Desktop, leaving the window open. Other files in the folder may have longer names that begin as above. Move those files, if any, to the Trash.

Relaunch Mail. It should prompt you to re-import your messages. You may get a warning that the index is damaged and that Mail has to quit. Click OK. Typically, the process takes a few minutes, but it may take hours if you have gigantic mailboxes. In that case, you may be able to speed things up by temporarily adding your home folder to the Privacy list in the Spotlight preference pane. Remove it when Mail has finished importing.

Test. If Mail now works as expected, you can delete the files you moved to the Desktop. Otherwise, post your results.

Sep 3, 2015 2:18 PM in response to Linc Davis

Had same problem with Mail window not opening on desktop but showing it open in the menu and dock. The only way to get the window was to access the "New Viewer Window" from the mail menu. Tis started happening three days ago.

I tried everything you mentioned to include the re-import of the messages. Everything is the same. Any suggestions? BTW Mail works fine on my Mac Book Pro. This problem is on my iMac OS10.10.5.

Mail won't open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.