Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud is defaulting to an incorrect id on my iphone 4S

Whenever I access my iphone for anything I continually get asked to enter the password for my iCloud account, not a problem except that the iCloud id it comes up with is incorrect by one letter. I cannot see where to change the id. No password I would normally use works. Online I can sign into the Apple ID it should be but not the one it thinks it is. I cannot reset the password for the incorrect id as it is an email address I do not have so I cannot access the emails that are sent to reset. On the iphone I have the option to sign out under settings> icloud but I have tried this and cannot complete it as it just asks me to enter my password to turn off find my iphone, which I don't know as its asking for the password of the incorrect id. Help - how can I change my phone's settings so I can log into the correct apple id?

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.2

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 6:19 AM

3 replies

Jun 28, 2015 6:57 AM in response to Winston Churchill

I know, it doesn't seem possible but I am definitely getting asked to sign into iCloud with an email address that is almost identical but with one letter incorrect. That is why I am so confused, as I don't see how this could have happened. If I had entered this as my id at some point surely I would have had to verify it via email, which I couldn't have done as I don't own that email address? I think that is what you are saying to me when you say it cannot be the case? But it is definitely asking me to enter a password for an id which is my email address with one letter incorrect. In settings>icloud there is the option to sign out at the bottom of the screen so presumably I must be signed in? Is it possible that the name of the id is one thing and the email address associated with it another? The thing is I have an id with the correct email address and there is no mention in that of the incorrect id. I'm sorry if this sounds silly but I'm getting very frustrated with it now. I don't mind about not being able to access the incorrect id apple account but I want to associate my iphone with the correct one and cannot seem to get around the continual requests for the password for the incorrect id.

Jun 28, 2015 7:31 AM in response to CaddyTed

Your only option may be to contact Apple ID Support, upon speaking to an operator you should explain that your problem is related to your Apple ID, this way you will not be charged for assistance, even if you don’t have an AppleCare plan.

You will need to show patience with the procedure and be prepared to demonstrate without question that the account belongs to you. Don’t expect access to be restored immediately and if you aren’t the owner of the Apple ID registered to the device the account won’t be reset.

iCloud is defaulting to an incorrect id on my iphone 4S

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.