Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple locking Ipad to carrier

I would really like to know what right Apple has to lock my ipad to a network provider/carrier.

My brother gave me his Ipad Mini 2, thanking you very much, to discover that it was locked ti he current provider EE. I want to use 3. I questioned 3 about this wa told that ipads are generally not locked to any provider but the only way was to put a different data sim in and discover what would happen.

Duly paid £15 for a data sim and low-and-behold it was locked to EE. After doing a bit of digging my brother contacted EE to see what the score was. They told him that 'They' don't lock the pad to their services but Apple do! We fould at that you have to request EE to request Apple to remove the lock from the Apple database.

What right has apple got to lock my property to any system? What right do they have to know which service I am using? Unless I tell them any of things I cannot see what right they have to pry into my private business and contractual obligations.

And then to not allow me to tell them to release my system from a given provider?!?

I have a feeling that secretly carrying these action is an invasion of my privacy and possibly against my personal human rights.

One very angry 1st time apple product user.

iPad Mini, null

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 8:39 AM

3 replies

Jun 28, 2015 9:21 AM in response to adrian_BT

Hi

EE buys hundreds/thousands of IPads off apple, EE then requests Apple to Lock them to EE network, before being despatched the details are then stored on the Apple data base. You are quite right if you require the iPad unlocked ( usually after the end of the contract period from EE) Apple has to be contacted to register the device as unlocked on their data base,, this will then allow you to use a sim card from another provider.

As stedman1 quite rightly said Apple do not lock the Devices to any network unless previously requested to do so.

apple locking Ipad to carrier

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.