Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copying files from Mac to Time Capsule

Hi everyone,

I've just bought the new 2TB Time Capsule as a means of using as a back up for all my files which I don't have room for on my Macbook Air. It has all installed OK and is busy doing a backup right now.

However, I cannot copy and paste files or folders from my hard drive on my Macbook over to the Time Capsule without it saying that this requires the Time Capsule to be modified and requires the administrator name and password and to click OK to proceed. When I click OK, it does nothing!

I've gone into the settings and my passwords are all there and set up.

Please can anyone help? This is rather frustrating and a lot of money for a big white useless lump in the hallway!

Thanks

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 8:03 AM

2 replies

Jun 28, 2015 8:23 AM in response to croomes30

It has all installed OK and is busy doing a backup right now.

I suggest that you wait for the Time Machine backup to complete before you attempt to copy other files over to the Time Capsule hard drive.

However, in case you have not thought about this.......

If you manually copy files from your MacBook Air to the Time Capsule hard drive....and then delete the files from your Mac.....you have no "backup" at all for those files since the only version of the files will be on the Time Capsule.

In other words, if the Time Capsule has a problem, you will lose those files.....since you have no backup for them.

Copying files from Mac to Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.