Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Late 2014 vs Mid 2015 / what is difference?

What is the difference between iMac Retina 5K " Late 2014 " and " Mid 2015 " models??

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 10:14 AM

10 replies

Jun 28, 2015 2:58 PM in response to petermanns

Ok so the late 2014 model is a 3.5 GHZ with the i5 processor. The late 2015 is 200 dollars cheaper, but it has 3.3 GHZ with i5 processor. For full details, see these two URLS.

Late 2014:http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/imac-retina?product=MF886LL/A&step=config

Early 2015: http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/imac-retina?product=MF885LL/A&step=config

Hope this helped you out!

-J

Jun 28, 2015 8:39 PM in response to babowa

Thank You, helpful! Reviewing...

Reason for this question is that I just bought new iMac Retina 5k from Apple Store On-line (delivered 6/19/15) and I just learned that it is the " Late 2014 " model and not the current newer " Mid 2015 " model I was expecting. Is Apple clearing out old inventory or worse a refurbished older unit they are promoting??

Should I be concerned??

Is there some spec in the newer 2015 model (not in the older 2014 model) that might be needed for future Software, etc. upgrades??

Any Opinions on this situation would be helpful.

Thank You !!

Jun 28, 2015 9:30 PM in response to petermanns

Well, it depends which one you ordered; I believe they are selling them both. The late 2014 is not outdated - it will be available and sold until the model is "refreshed". If you will look at the specs and take a look at the Apple store page showing both, you will see that. My personal take on that: they just introduced a slightly different processor/price model so consumers will have an option.

As for upgrades, I'd say it really doesn't matter which one you have - you need to buy a computer weighing the importance of processor speed, RAM, and graphics card for your particular needs. As long as those fit the bill, it doesn't matter which one you buy. I just bought a refurbished late 2012 for a very specific reason: I needed to run Mavericks for some software I have which is not compatible with Yosemite and, with the Applecare, I am covered to 2018.

iMac Late 2014 vs Mid 2015 / what is difference?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.