Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

UPS for Mac

I am shopping for a new UPS to provide backup power for my Mac mini. Will a pulse wave modulation (simulated sine wave) unit work or do I need to use the more expensive pure sine wave unit? Also, I'm planning to replace the mini with a more powerful iMac, will that UPS remain compatible?

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 2.5 GHz i5 processor, 4GB memory

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 10:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 10:48 AM

1. Either will do.

2. A correctly sized UPS for a Mini will not be powerful enough for an iMac, buy one big enough for the iMac from the start.

17 replies

Jun 29, 2015 2:58 AM in response to Rand50

As for your future proofing, I am using a APC Back-UPS ES 750

with the following connected:

Late 2013, 27" iMac 3.2GHz, 32GB RAM

Thunderbolt Display

2 external bus powered portable disks, one 500 GB HDD, one 256 GB SSD

CD/DVD/BD drive

5 port ethernet hub

With these items running off the backup outlets, I get 15-20 minutes of runtime

which is plenty of time to survive short power blips and plenty of time to do a graceful

shutdown should the power outage be longer term.

Jan 12, 2016 8:11 AM in response to Rand50

Csound1 is wrong. You may get away with it for a while, maybe all the time with luck but the chance of PSU failure with a PWM is always there as I found to my cost with my 2012 iMac. Bought a Cyberpower PSW unit, more costly but I now feel confident that I can use it with an Energy Star compliant PSU as well as Macs (which have them and is why they can be damaged with the wrong UPS).

The reason many will say a PWM UPS will suffice is because they don't actually resort to it as they don't get that many power outages. I get around 4 or 5 a month, but not consistently, so my UPS was called into action several times both while I was present and when I was absent. It was an APC UPS, but I did notice that when the iMac (before it went faulty) would emit a barely there high-pitched whine and the screen contrast seemed to change. Since Apple replaced the PSU and I now use a Cyberpower PSW UPS none of this is apparent and I have happily run with it for a year on an iMac and Mac Mini.

I have posted my report on this on the community as I feel it is important and Apple were unaware or would not admit to it.

By the way I am an electrical engineer so I have done my research and know what I am talking about (shame I wasn't thinking before the first PSU fail).

Jan 12, 2016 9:46 AM in response to Csound1

It's irrelevant how many answers I have provided thus far, I haven't been on this community much yet that's all. But I have worked in the industry on machines (electrical, electronic, IT) installing and maintaining for 28 years, have every professional qualification, I hold a UK FIET membership etc. etc. But we need to keep this in layman's terms.

Modern computer power supplies are more efficient than ever, and also incorporate something called "active PFC". Active PFC is a good thing, and more and more power supplies are using it, including iMacs.

Active PFC and stepped sine waves do NOT always play well together. If you get a new computer, or a new power supply, it's possible it might not work with your old UPS. If you buy a new UPS, you should make sure it produces a true sine wave output, not only because you're current computer might need that, but because your next computer is even more likely to require it.

There are differences in quality of UPSs and other variances but for the relatively small extra outlay I highly recommend pure sine wave UPSs and stand by that for the OP question.

Jan 13, 2016 2:30 AM in response to Rand50

Apple Macs have historically had far more robust power supplies than the cheap trash in many PCs. Not only can I literally not remember the last time I had a Mac power supply fail on any Mac model but when brown-outs occurred I often saw most if not all the Macs in the office carry on running oblivious to that while many of the PCs shutdown/crashed/rebooted.

Jan 13, 2016 4:49 AM in response to John Lockwood

All I can say is it happened to my 2012 27" iMac and it was the PSU that had failed and doing some research and using my own knowledge it became apparent that the wrong UPS can sometimes cause a PSU failure. I am sure there is plenty of anecdotal evidence against this but also plenty that have had the same issue but the owner has not realised what the problem was. As I said before, if you understand PFC in PSUs it is proven electrical theory and that is why Pure (or True) Sine-wave UPSs are manufactured in the first place. It's nonsense to say Apple PSUs are more robust, they do not have any inherent difference to the average PFC PSU out there.

A look at the Youtube video linked below gives an idea to anyone mildly interested. This whole issue was raised because it can happen and googling 'pure sine wave UPS' or 'iMac PSU faults' or similar will bear out the potential problems, so in summary, I personally recommend them for computers using PFC PSUs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yMNlU9gueU

UPS for Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.