Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imac 5k resolutions

i am thinking of buying the 5k iMac. I don't have good vision.

can someone post pictures of each scaled resolution and explain the clarity of each maybe compared to others macs you have used before!

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 11:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 1:16 PM

I think you would need to visit an Apple dealer or other store that has a Retina and a non Retina 27" models to compare for yourself.

9 replies

Jun 28, 2015 1:29 PM in response to DKtheRA!

I find the resolution on my late 2012 27" iMac results in small fonts - the native is 2560 x 1440 - you can take that down a notch or two and the system fonts will be larger, but you will lose sharpness/crispnes with any photo, graphics, etc. So, it depends on what you can live with. According to the specs, the 5K iMac has a 5120‑by‑2880 resolution - I would certainly want to see that in store and compare to another (regular) iMac model before buying that.

Jun 29, 2015 8:22 AM in response to DKtheRA!

That I cannot tell you - on their respective tech specs pages, they both show the exact same thing for the display/resolution:

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP707?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP718?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

So, it could have to do with the graphics card since one of those is available with an upgrade option for a better one.

As for "stunning" - yes, they do, but when you put aside the wow factor and get down to actually needing to see what is on the screen looking at emails, documents, etc. - to me, that is what counts. So, whatever "fits" you and your eye(sight) is what is important.

Imac 5k resolutions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.