Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I sort photos by date AND time?

I have imported photos into iPhoto from a camera and an iPhone 5s. The photos are together by date but not time of day. I would like to sort by date and time so that similar photos are together for easier editing. Is there a way to do this?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 8 GB memory, 21.5 display; 2013 manufacture

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 10:08 AM

8 replies

Jun 28, 2015 1:42 PM in response to Big Mike

I have imported photos into iPhoto from a camera and an iPhone 5s. The photos are together by date but not time of day. I would like to sort by date and time so that similar photos are together for easier editing. Is there a way to do this?

Have the photos been taken in a different time zone?

Or has the camera been set to a different time zone then the clock on the iPhone? Then adjust the date of the photos from the camera to match the dates of the photos taken with the iPhone so they will be sorted correctly. You can separate the photos according to the cameras by creating two smart albums with the rules

"Camera Model is ....".

Then select the photos i the album for your camera and adjust the time to match the clock on the iPhone using the command

"Image > Adjust Date and time".

Jul 28, 2015 9:38 AM in response to Old Toad

I'm using Photos with Yosemite and even with "Keep Sorted By Date" checked, the time order jumps around. In other words the app *isn't* sorting by date and time, for photos which were taken on the same phone on the same day, often seconds or minutes apart. The order isn't totally random, but neither is it sequential; I can't work out what's going on.

Jul 28, 2015 9:44 AM in response to léonie

léonie wrote:

I'm using Photos with Yosemite and even with "Keep Sorted By Date" checked, the time order jumps around.

Where are you viewing the photos?

Smart albums should be sorted by date&time, regular albums can be sorted manually, shared albums are sorted by the order you add the photos.

A regular album, but I've not changed the sort order manually. I presume they're sorted in the order they were imported, and for some reason they were not imported in time order. I'd have expected by default (and with apparently no other user choice) they'd have been sorted by date and time, but they're not.

Can I sort photos by date AND time?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.