Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I remove "maps galaxy toolbar" application?

My husband accidentally installed an application called with "Maps Galaxy Toolbar" or "mpas galaxy for my way". I went to the library on his Apple Air with 10.10.3 OS X Yosemite. I pulled into the trash anything I could see with these terms, but that did not solve the problem. This Maps Galaxy appears to have taken over Safari or is redirecting my husband's searches from Safari to this Maps Galaxy app. How could I remove this software?

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 11:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 11:28 AM

Hi,

It's malware but easy to remove.

Download and run the AdMedic adware / malware removal tool here > AdwareMedic

Easy and only takes a minute or two.

If you would rather not download the utility, you can remove the malware manually.

Instructions here > Remove unwanted adware that displays pop-up ads and graphics on your Mac - Apple Support

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2015 11:28 AM in response to CalicoJones

Hi,

It's malware but easy to remove.

Download and run the AdMedic adware / malware removal tool here > AdwareMedic

Easy and only takes a minute or two.

If you would rather not download the utility, you can remove the malware manually.

Instructions here > Remove unwanted adware that displays pop-up ads and graphics on your Mac - Apple Support

Jun 29, 2015 1:52 PM in response to Linc Davis

Linc Davis wrote:

In case anyone finding this thread is confused, the answer marked as correct is wrong. The original poster installed an unwanted Safari extension. It was not malware, and running any kind of program to remove malware was both unnecessary and pointless.

Actually, the Maps Galaxy Toolbar is known Windows adware. This is the first I've heard of it relating to a Mac, but that doesn't change the fact that it is adware.

As for the solution, if anyone is uncertain what to do at this point, discuss it with an Apple support tech. They will steer you in the right direction, whether that is Apple's adware removal document, my own AdwareMedic app or something else entirely. Apple techs are seeing a lot of problems like these right now, and know how to handle them. They should be considered the authorities in the case of conflicting advice from strangers on a forum like this one.

It is certain that Apple's adware removal document would not have helped in this case. I personally do not know whether AdwareMedic would have solved this problem or not... that depends on what Maps Galaxy Toolbar is, and whether it's a variant of something I've seen before. However, if it were something I had never seen, it should be pointed out that AdwareMedic provides information that can be used to help troubleshoot such cases, and even provides people with a means for getting personal assistance from me, absolutely free of charge.

How can I remove "maps galaxy toolbar" application?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.