Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yahoo taken over Firefox browser on desktop

How do I get back my Firefox browser which has been taken over by Yahoo this morning. Firefox has all my bookmarks. At time I also use Safari but Firefox is where the bookmarks are kept.

Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 9:46 AM

3 replies

Jun 30, 2015 5:32 AM in response to jhmetzger

Mozilla, a few versions back--you must have just updated--in its "wisdom" and probably for a kickback changed the default search engine to Yahoo. Just did it and didn't bother to ask anyone if that's what they wanted.

First, I don't think there is a Preferences>Search any longer. You probably need to get the old Firefox search box back. To do this, enter about:config in the URL field. Say you'll be careful to the silly popup and then enter browser.search.showOneOffButtons Next double click on that, which will set it to false, quit and restart Firefox and then go to the Search field and choose Google, or whatever, as your default search engine.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

After doing this, make sure it has stuck by going back into about:config and enter browser.search.defaultenginename

This what comes up on mine, since I'm using Google HTTPS

User uploaded file

If you double click on each of those, you will be able to set the default search engine by entering its name (string value).

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Yahoo taken over Firefox browser on desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.