Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i have problem with assigning static ip

hello

i'm using iPhone 6. i have vodafone with static ip. i'm controlling iPhone 6 with whatismyip.com. i see static ip that vodafone gave me. then i'm tethering my vodafone internet with my windwows or macbook pro. then i'm controlling mac or windows pc with whatismyip.com. i don't see same ip that vodafone gave me. i talked with vodafone. they said that iOS doesn't let to assign same ip to mac or windows pc. you have to talk with apple. i talked apple turkey today. they said same thing. i want to learn is this true.

note: i tried with android phone. there isn problem.i saw same ip both phone and pc.

thanks.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3, vodafone türkiye

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 9:21 AM

12 replies

Jun 28, 2015 9:52 AM in response to ss1907

You provided lots of info, but what do you want to do?

i'm controlling iPhone 6 with whatismyip.com.

What are you doing? What do you do with whatismyip.com?

i see static ip that vodafone gave me.

Where and how do you see it?

then i'm tethering my vodafone internet with my windwows or macbook pro.

Please describe how you connect you pc or mac to the internet. Do you attach both at the same time? Attach via cable or wifi?

then i'm controlling mac or windows pc with whatismyip.com.

Again what are you doing? A link to what you are doing with whatismyip.com would be helpful. I did go to whatismyip.com, but don't read everything.

i don't see same ip that vodafone gave me.

How are you configured? What box goes to what box? Where did you look?

i talked with vodafone. they said that iOS doesn't let to assign same ip to mac or windows pc [ actually see below. It has to do with your router ] . you have to talk with apple. i talked apple turkey today. they said same thing. i want to learn is this true.

note: i tried with android phone. there isn problem.i saw same ip both phone and pc.

I'm confused. An ip address will be assigned to one device. With a pc / mac you could use an ethernet cable to attach to your ethernet modem. The pc or mac would then get the static ip address. With a wifi connection, you have a wifi router involved. The wireless router would take the static ip address, it would create a dhcp client and assign another ip address to your ipad. When you did a query on your ip address from whatismyip.com you should see a static ip address for your ipad.

Unless you got some type of router that would pass on your static ip address to you ipad, you will get the dhcp ip address.

Robert

Jun 28, 2015 3:15 PM in response to rccharles

i want to connect my factory server from everywhere. but only specific ip addresses can reach server. therefore i took static ip address for my cellular line from vodafone türkiye. then i configured my server that this ip address can reach server. i tested static ip in my iPhone 6 by whatismyip.com. it's ok. then i made hotspot to use internet on my computer with cable by iPhone 6. after connected internet by iPhone 6, i tested whatismyip.com on computer. but i didn't have the same ip address that i have in iPhone 6. therefore i cannot connect my factory server. i wish i explained what i want.

i mean when my computer use iPhone 6's internet via hotspot , my computer doesn't have same ip address with iPhone's ip address.

is it clear or not ?

please help.

Jun 28, 2015 3:43 PM in response to ss1907

I understand the goal now.

I'm not enough of a network heavy to sort through this 😊. We do not know how the hotspot works. Perhaps it doesn't work by using the ipads static ip address. I suggest asking the question over at Stack Overflow. Perhaps:

http://superuser.com/

look at the bottom of page to pick a forum

Other solutions:

-- Could you switch to a vpn solution. It is the more typical solution. I believe vpn will be more secure than a static ip solution.

-- Use a pc screen emulator on your ipad. A pain since there is no mouse. Some firm was developing a mouse just for their screen sharing app.

https://gigaom.com/2014/05/03/how-to-turn-your-ipad-into-a-desktop-with-these-re mote-access-apps/

-- perhaps you could switch to a mifi box.

Robert

Jun 28, 2015 6:38 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

In the case of a home router, ip addresses for downstream devices are aggregated to one ip address upstream. That is if you have a router with an ip address of 616.

You may be able to see this if you have a router with several computers attached. Go to whatismyip.com on each computer. You will probably see the same address. Do need to do the query at about the same time. The address will change over time. Will depend on how your isp does things.

--------------------------------------------------------------

You can buy another device, MiFi, which will connect your wifi devices to a cellular phone network. I'm sure there are other devices around with the same capability.

Contact the celular service you want to use. Ask about there MiFI devices. Check on prices.

here is the wiki article on the device.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiFi

Jul 1, 2015 10:38 AM in response to rccharles

-- Use a pc screen emulator on your ipad. A pain since there is no mouse. Some firm was developing a mouse just for their screen sharing app.

Critix apps support there own mouse. The mouse will only work with an app that supports the mouse.

http://store.citrix.com/store/citrix/en_US/buy/productID.317779200/ThemeID.37713 000

You would look for a critix screen sharing in the app store.

For instance.

http://blogs.citrix.com/2010/01/28/do-you-want-to-use-citrix-receiver-to-run-win dows-7-from-the-ipad/

With a mouse, screen sharing app, keyboard, and ipad, you may no longer need a laptop.

i have problem with assigning static ip

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.