Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stop iMac asking questions

Hi,

Is there any way of stopping my iMac from asking plain daft questions? e.g. I had closed everything down or force-quit all applications and then went to log off, but it came up with

"are you sure you want to quit all applications and log off?"

This question is stupid and annoying - I don't have time for this unintuitive, unintelligent programming - I just want to do what I want to do and get on with it!

So, does anyone know if there's a way to bypass all these and just shutdown, log off etc without first being prompted with these questions?

I'd love to know!

Thanks!

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 12:01 PM

5 replies

Jun 28, 2015 12:42 PM in response to scope man

By default, Mac OS X usually does not have Voice Over, or other speaking items enabled.

Voice notification, Accessibility, and other spoken items are a part of the system and you

should be able to go through and disable them again; try System Preferences first to see

if you may have enabled by accident (keyboard shortcuts) Accessibility preference settings.

•OS X Mavericks: Use accessibility features

• OS X Mavericks: Hear your Mac speak text

http://atmac.org/voiceover-mac-wont-stop-talking

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=OS+X+Mavericks+Voice+disable

Usually for your Mac to speak, you have to go into settings to enable this. You can choose

to select aspects of this in Dictation and Speech in system preferences, too.

My OS X 10.9.x has never spoken, because I never enabled it to even listen to any newer

voice-over or other content. However in some older Mac OS systems I tested them. In

some older ones it was much easier to record a custom voice notification & choose a voice.

That was handy if one were going to prank some other user who left access to his Mac open.

In any event...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Jun 30, 2015 11:53 AM in response to scope man

Given more information on where else to look and how to change other settings

& stop the problem from occurring again (+ learn why it did that in the first place)

usually covers most bases when one is willing to read for those kinds of details.

I'm a details person, but I will keep in mind there are persons who only want a

reply to the most simple method of resolving an immediate & superficial issue.

Glad to see the keyboard shortcut (covered in one of the articles) worked for you. 😝

Jun 30, 2015 12:20 PM in response to K Shaffer

Hi K Shaffer,

Thank you for your kind input.

I think in actual fact the answer I chose as the one which solved the problem was picked, because it did log me out quickly.

I feel the impression I get from using Apple kit for quite a while now is that more recently it has been less likely to carry out commands straight away and it queries your demand - and lets not deny that a computer should receive commands from the user without being questioned.

If the correct consequences of me attempting to log out were terrible, then I might appreciate the machine's advice.

In this case however, the iMac's response was filled with inaccuracy as I had already saved everything and shut it all down.

The understandable annoyance I endured from this prompted my question - after all, if the advice is completely wrong and annoying (and therefore untrustworthy), I would rather not receive such utterings and should prefer to switch them off.

Hope this makes sense!

Yours truly and thanks again,

How to stop iMac asking questions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.