Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replacing IMac i7 late model 2009 internal dvd burner, what should I get?

I need to erase my drive due to many problems that's been happening - like start-up items that are not designated to start up at login, not being able to access desktop and dock items that will not go away. Recently, I replaced my graphic card (due to black screen - Radeon HD 4850 512 mb). I've upgraded from OS 10.6.8 to Yosemite, but now I cannot use my Wacom tablet (too old no driver support) - Do not like OS Yosemite, slow and adds nothing else. So I want to go back to OS 10.6.8 – since I need to do that, I'm thinking of putting in a solid state drive so I may as well replace the DVD drive that's not working, is there a difference in what DVD burner and what should I get? Any comments on installing a solid state drive on this old computer? Trying to get as much out of this computer before I have to bite the bullet and get a new system (am a heavy user on Adobe Creative suite). Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks.

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 10:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 10:27 AM

Contact OWC (www.macsales.com) and they can help you choose what is best for your needs.

You can add a SSD to the computer however remember that will need to replace either the DVD burner or the internal HD. Again OWC can assist on that too. A SSD will improve startup-shutdown, file loading and file closing. If you are having difficulty withYosemite chances are you simply do not have enough RAM or your have a lot of outdated apps installed. It would be helpful to us if you posted an EtreCheck report of your computer.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2015 10:27 AM in response to Ruth Ann Liu-Johnston

Contact OWC (www.macsales.com) and they can help you choose what is best for your needs.

You can add a SSD to the computer however remember that will need to replace either the DVD burner or the internal HD. Again OWC can assist on that too. A SSD will improve startup-shutdown, file loading and file closing. If you are having difficulty withYosemite chances are you simply do not have enough RAM or your have a lot of outdated apps installed. It would be helpful to us if you posted an EtreCheck report of your computer.

Replacing IMac i7 late model 2009 internal dvd burner, what should I get?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.