Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remote app only showing iTunes Library

I accidentally erased the remote from my apple tv remote app. Now when I open the app it is only allowing me to access my itunes library. I am completely unable to control the apple tv. I tried deleting and reinstalling the app, no luck. Please help!

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 11:05 AM

11 replies

Jun 30, 2015 11:15 AM in response to nkg2910

Hello nkg2910,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

If you're unable to use the remote function in the Remote app with your Apple TV, then please follow the directions in the article below.

Set up Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation)

1. On Apple TV, select Settings from the main menu.
  2. Select General > Remotes > Remote App. If Home Sharing isn't set up on your Apple TV, you should turn it on.

Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation) uses Home Sharing to stream content from your iTunes library on your computer to your HDTV. If you connect your Apple TV to your iTunes library using Home Sharing, you can use Remote to browse and play content from any iTunes library in the Computers section of your Apple TV. You can also use Remote to select between available speakers to enhance your audio and video experience.

Turn on Home Sharing using Remote

1. Connect iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to a Wi-Fi network on the same local network as your Mac, PC, or Apple TV.
  2. Open the Remote app on your iOS device.
  3. Turn on Home Sharing from the Remote Settings screen.
  4. Sign in to the same Home Sharing account you used to sign in on your other devices.

After you set up Home Sharing on one or more devices, Remote will pair with those devices and you can start controlling them. You can use separate Apple IDs for Home Sharing and the iTunes Store on an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. For example, you can sign in to Home Sharing using one account and then use a separate account for the iTunes store.

Set up Remote app for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Have a good one,

Alex H.

Jun 30, 2015 11:33 AM in response to chuck_3rd

This issue has nothing to do with home sharing. Home sharing is turned on both my computer and the Apple TV. The problem is that I do not have a remote for the apple tv (it is lost), and the remote app on my iPhone is not functioning. When I open the app there is usually an icon that says Apple TV, but I accidentally deleted that icon. My question is; how do I recover the deleted apple TV icon on the remote app? I have tried reinstalling the app and that did not work.

Jul 1, 2015 2:55 PM in response to nkg2910

Hey there nkg2910,

Actually, the remote function of the Remote app uses Home Sharing, so it is vital that it is configured correctly on both the iPhone and Apple TV. Since you have reinstalled the Remote app, have you also re-established Home Sharing on your iPhone? Please follow the steps in my initial reply to double check everything is configured correctly.

Take care,

Alex H.

Sep 24, 2015 9:50 PM in response to vazandrew

VAzandrew, could you please explain how to re-establish the link with Apple TV for navigation using a physical remote? I use a Logitech universal remote, but I used to use my iPhone remote app for every time I need to type things (like email addresses, logins, passwords) on Apple TV. But sine I upgraded iPhone 6 to iOS 9, remote app no longer shows Apple TV device and won't navigate the Apple TV. My home sharing is fine and can access my iTunes library, but who cares about that. I want to control (navigate) my app,e tv using my iPhone like I always used to!

Remote app only showing iTunes Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.