Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my tc indicates no old backup: what happened to my data?

time capsule-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 11:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 2:53 PM

Did you upgrade install Yosemite?

We see that this can cause issues.. the old backups can still be there but if you used TM since the upgrade it can totally hide the old setup and files.

Is there something you need.. if so do a manual mount of the sparsebundle and get the files.

Or simply wait.. TM takes a long time to reindex the backup.. many hours.. and if you do it over wireless many many more hours.

Whichever way you do it.. and whatever you did to make the old backups disappear.. mount the sparsebundle and see if they are in fact still there.

See Pondini for recovery info.

Q14-17 here.

http://pondini.org/TM/FAQ.html

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2015 2:53 PM in response to jamesfrommissionhills

Did you upgrade install Yosemite?

We see that this can cause issues.. the old backups can still be there but if you used TM since the upgrade it can totally hide the old setup and files.

Is there something you need.. if so do a manual mount of the sparsebundle and get the files.

Or simply wait.. TM takes a long time to reindex the backup.. many hours.. and if you do it over wireless many many more hours.

Whichever way you do it.. and whatever you did to make the old backups disappear.. mount the sparsebundle and see if they are in fact still there.

See Pondini for recovery info.

Q14-17 here.

http://pondini.org/TM/FAQ.html

Jun 28, 2015 5:32 PM in response to LaPastenague

thank you for your response; however, i just started the time capsule anew, and now it lists my oldest backup "today"…i have os lion, and am afraid to upgrade to yosemite. the TC also said i hadn't any backups for 30 days, which was also a bit disconcerting?!

since i have your attention, should i use firewall to encrypt my hard drive & the TC saved stuff?

thank you for your help,

james

Jun 28, 2015 6:44 PM in response to jamesfrommissionhills

Lion should be less problematic than Yosemite.. but that doesn't mean it is issue free.

Check yourself manually.. as per pondini instructions.. and you will see another post here..

I cannot retrieve my files from Time Capsule

I have put a lot of screenshots into my second post.

Open the sparsebundle in finder.. and check what dates are in it.

It should look like this. (only the dates will be this month and last month).

User uploaded file

If you don't have it.. I know what has happened.. TM corrupted itself and then wiped the backup and started over.. you probably said yes to a little box that jumped up and you didn't actually notice what it said.. it may have even happened automagically without any input from you at all.

TM is not as reliable as it used to be.. that is simple fact.

Install the widget so you have some idea what the HECK TM is doing. See A1 here. http://pondini.org/TM/Troubleshooting.html

I encourage anyone who wants reliable backups to ..

1. Use a disk plugged into your computer not network drives.. TM is far more reliable to local disk.

2. Use a disk cloner.. if you do 1. you may as well go the whole way and use Carbon Copy Cloner and make a bootable clone of your disk.. you can partition the drive and use TM as well.

A bootable clone has one huge advantage.. boot from it.. and you instantly know you have a working backup.

Jun 28, 2015 7:53 PM in response to jamesfrommissionhills

Right-Click on the Time Machine icon on the dock

Click on Browse Other Time Machine Disks

Select a drive if it appears

Are your "old" backups there?

If not, you may have have seen something like this appear recently:

User uploaded file

If so, Time Machine detected that your "old" backups were corrupted, and it could not repair them, so it deleted them and started over.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.