Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

constant error message that macintosh hd disk is full. I cannot even shut down computer. ANyone know how I can start deleting files or bypass this message

I don't know how to delete files from macintosh HD disk I cannot do anything with my computer. I cannot empty trash, shut down etc. The disk usage says that it is full but it doesn't tell me how to get into the files to delete. The message just keeps popping up whatever I try Any answers

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2010), iOS 8

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 11:40 AM

2 replies

Jun 28, 2015 11:45 AM in response to Andrew Buonomo

You can delete data by stating up in Safe Mode.

Top left corner of your screen click the Apple  > Shut Down.

After your Mac shuts down, wait 10 seconds, then press the power button.

Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold down the Shift key. You should press the Shift key as soon as possible after you hear the startup tone, but not before.

Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple logo and progress indicator.

Once you are in Safe Mode, click the Apple top left in your screen. From the drop down menu click About This Mac > More Info > Storage

You need at least 10% free disk space, more if possible. OS X Tips Where did my Disk Space go?

After you delete data, go back to the Apple menu. From the drop down menu click: Restart

About Safe Mode

constant error message that macintosh hd disk is full. I cannot even shut down computer. ANyone know how I can start deleting files or bypass this message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.