Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wont get past grey screen with apple and update bar

My Mac turned off yesterday automatically and then booted to a grey screen with an apple and update bar below it. I eventually decided to turn it off since it seemed to be getting hot. I thought that might help to give it a break. It is set up to turn on at a certain time every morning and I guess it did. My husband said it was just going through a loop of update screen then full grey screen, then back to the apple and update bar. Now it has 5 green stripes down the screen too. I tried to start in safe mode but it wouldn't ever get there. I am afraid since all my kids pictures the past 4 years are on the computer and I never did back it up. I do have windows on bootcamp. Is there maybe a way to start straight to windows without being able to get into my Mac patrician? Or is there another way to get my pictures backed up? Please Help!!! Thank you in advance!!!

iMac, I don't know the operating system

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 12:49 PM

2 replies

Jun 28, 2015 1:01 PM in response to MacMomof3

I suspect a hardware failure, hopefully is not the hard disk as that would mean getting your data back while not impossible will likely be extremely expensive. Follow each step in Gray screen appears during startup and if all fail make an appointment at your local Apple Store or AASP to have the computer repaired.

Asking to backup after a failure is like asking to prevent a fire after your house has burned down. There is NO excuse to not backing up, all you needed to do is connect an external HD and Apple provides Time Machine which is automatic backup software, this is included with OS X. If you are not familiar with TM then please look over Time Machine Backup basics

Wont get past grey screen with apple and update bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.