Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

adding second Asus router to Time Capsule WIFI network

I have an Apple Time Machine Airport WIFI router network up, but would like to a second WiFi router (slave) just for reception boost. The second is an Asus I used and worked well, before I got Apple with its combination back up. I guess I have to configure the Asus as signal booster only? Would I turn off the Apple first, Install the Asus, and then downgrade the Asus, and bring the TM back up?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.0.x)

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 1:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 2:48 PM

First thing.. the Asus wireless router will not work as a wireless extender to apple router.

Apple use some proprietary settings.

You do need to plug the asus into the Apple Time Capsule.. (Time Machine is software on your computer, not hardware).. by ethernet and run it in WAP mode.. if that is missing use WAN Bypass which I have explained just recently in another thread which I will give you the reference to.

Add spare Linksys WiFi router as another access point

If the Asus is a recent one WAP mode should be available.. and just google it.. asus RT-AC66U WAP mode and see what comes up. (replace with your actual asus model, which would help to know). Instead of ethernet you can at times use EOP (homeplug) adapters instead.. however these work or don't work depending on your house wiring.

Then you setup roaming .. both devices use the same wireless name =SSID.. same password and WPA2 AES (or Personal).

They will exist happily together but unfortunately if you use Yosemite, a connection to the Asus might get you ethernet but it can fail to find the TC.. but see how you go.. there are work arounds.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2015 2:48 PM in response to michaelayres

First thing.. the Asus wireless router will not work as a wireless extender to apple router.

Apple use some proprietary settings.

You do need to plug the asus into the Apple Time Capsule.. (Time Machine is software on your computer, not hardware).. by ethernet and run it in WAP mode.. if that is missing use WAN Bypass which I have explained just recently in another thread which I will give you the reference to.

Add spare Linksys WiFi router as another access point

If the Asus is a recent one WAP mode should be available.. and just google it.. asus RT-AC66U WAP mode and see what comes up. (replace with your actual asus model, which would help to know). Instead of ethernet you can at times use EOP (homeplug) adapters instead.. however these work or don't work depending on your house wiring.

Then you setup roaming .. both devices use the same wireless name =SSID.. same password and WPA2 AES (or Personal).

They will exist happily together but unfortunately if you use Yosemite, a connection to the Asus might get you ethernet but it can fail to find the TC.. but see how you go.. there are work arounds.

adding second Asus router to Time Capsule WIFI network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.