Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime compatibility with files migrated from a PC

I am about to migrate windows files from a PC to my new Macbook Pro. Are there any concerns I should have for movie files? I have used VLC on my PC but I have heard there are issues both with VLC on Mac and there are issues with QT playing videos in different formats. Should I convert all of my video content to a specific format or find the right player on Mac? Thank you.

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 2:30 PM

2 replies

Jun 29, 2015 4:01 PM in response to Carlos_Baerga_hit_dinger

Are there any concerns I should have for movie files?

That would likely depend on the file type and compression formats used for your content.

I have used VLC on my PC but I have heard there are issues both with VLC on Mac and there are issues with QT playing videos in different formats.

Files should essentially play the same on both Windows and Mac OS systems since VLC contains its it own built-in codec support structure based on the FFMPEG project. (The same is also true for HandBrake on both systems if you use it as your primary H.264/X.264/AAC conversion utility.) As to QT, QT X based apps under Mavericks and Yosemite can be a headache since QT X playback no longer supports the direct use of user installed codecs. Many common file types and/or compression formats may still play in the QT 7 player with the Perian codec package installed, but VLC file/format coverage still remains your best bet for most file and format types.

Should I convert all of my video content to a specific format or find the right player on Mac?

That depends on your specific needs and workflows. If you plan to vie your content under Mac OSX, TV, and/or Apple mobile devices (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, etc.) then conversion to H.264/AAC (with or without alternate audio, surround sound, chapter tracks, etc.) might be a good choice for a universal "Apple" format here but any conversion of compression has the potential for introducing quality issues. In short, there are a number of quests you must answer for yourself before making a final decision.

User uploaded file

Quicktime compatibility with files migrated from a PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.