Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get to programs previously installed on a new computer after using migration assistant to copy settings from an old computer?

I recently got a new 2015 macbook. I used to have a 2012 macbook pro. My new macbook came with 2011 Microsoft word, powerpoint, excel, and outlook pre-installed and set up. My old macbook also had 2011 word. I think when I used migration assistant it replaced the new 2011 Microsoft with the 2011 version from my old computer. Now when I try to launch word it prompts me to login or use a key, which I don't have since it was already set up when I got it. When I try and launch the free trial it looks like the version from my old computer (the word logo has my name and a company registration that I no longer want), but it is never able to successfully launch as it either crashes or says that there isn't enough disk space. Is it possible to delete the version of Microsoft suites that copied of from my old computer and bring back the version that was initially on this new computer? Is that even what is happening? Thanks!!

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 1:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 1:47 PM

Reinstall your third-party software from their original distribution media. This will assure the least problems.

3 replies

Jun 28, 2015 3:08 PM in response to emmafromcarrboro

Well, you could attempt to restore the software from a Time Machine or other backup without using Migration Assistant. If the software were downloaded over the Internet or App Store, then you can re-download the software.

I'm assuming you did not include third-party software and support files when you migrated. You can re-download an Office trial from Mactopia. But the registration information is contained in the /Library/Preferences/ folder. You would need to locate it and copy it to the same location on the new computer. Most support files for other software is usually found in the /Home/Library/Applications Support/ folder and would have to be copied into the same folder on the new computer.

How to get to programs previously installed on a new computer after using migration assistant to copy settings from an old computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.