Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to enable Windows Remote Desktop on Mac OS X Running Bootcamp Windows 8.1?

Hi,

I have a Mac Mini 2010 or 2011 with Bootcamp running Windows 8.1. I've setup port forwarding on my router so that my static IP and designated port is opened and able to accept inbound connections. The goal is to use Windows Remote Desktop to access my Windows 8.1 image running on Bootcamp on my Mac mini. I've enabled remote desktop access in Windows 8.1 as well.

Unfortunately, I'm still not able to remote into my Mac with this configuration. Are there other steps I need to take? It should be noted that the Mac is connected to my network via WiFi vs. having an Ehternet connection.

Thanks much for any help and guidance.

iOS 7

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 5:01 PM

9 replies

Jun 30, 2015 8:27 AM in response to Rudegar

The Mac Mini is the physical machine that has Windows 8.1 on a bootcamp image.

So, it sounds like I cannot remote desktop into the Mac Mini when it's running the bootcamp image?

Also, I changed my LAN settings on my router to use internal IP address 10.1.10.12 for the Mac Mini. Since that change, the Mac Mini when running OS X cannot connect to the Internet, cannot be reached by VNC or TeamViewer. How do I rectify this?

Thanks for all your help!

Jun 30, 2015 10:31 AM in response to webdbapps

webdbapps wrote:

So, it sounds like I cannot remote desktop into the Mac Mini when it's running the bootcamp image?

This is not true. I use RDP and VNC both, to get to Windows on a Mini and OSX and a Mini, respectively.

webdbapps wrote:

Also, I changed my LAN settings on my router to use internal IP address 10.1.10.12 for the Mac Mini. Since that change, the Mac Mini when running OS X cannot connect to the Internet, cannot be reached by VNC or TeamViewer. How do I rectify this?

Are you reserving a IP for the Mini or static IP for the Mini? Can you get to the gateway 10.1.10.1 from your Mini with a ping?

Jun 30, 2015 10:41 AM in response to Loner T

I have a static IP and opened port 5900 on both my gateway and my router. Since port 3389 is reserved for RDP, and I have both a PC and a Mac on my network, how do I ensure that my IP + port 3389 is directed to my Mac? Interestingly enough, prior to the internal IP address change, I could login to 10.1.10.1 which is my Comcast gateway. After the change, I cannot login to 10.1.10.1 except by plugging the gateway's ethernet cable directly into my PC. I will see what pinging 10.1.10.1 from the Mini produces. Thanks again for your help!

Jun 30, 2015 10:55 AM in response to webdbapps

Your connection should look like this.

Internet -> WAN (Comcast Static IP) -> Gateway/Router -> LAN (DHCP 10.1.10.1).

The Gateway Router probably has 254 address for LAN distribution 10.1.10.2 - 10.1.10.255. On the GW/RTR you have reserved 10.1.10.12 for the Mini's Ethernet MAC. You need to be careful if you connect the Mini via both Wired and Wireless. Pick one, but not both. You cannot reserve 10.1.10.12 for both Wired and Wireless MAC addresses. Routing will not work.

The other option is to make 10.1.10.2 - 10.1.10.128 as your static IP address range half, and reduce the DHCP range to be 10.1.10.129 - 10.1.10.255 to avoid conflicts. Your subnet is still 255.255.255.0. This allows 128 reserved IPs and 128 DHCP IPs and keeps the two pools separate.

Your RDP connection from any LAN host in 10.1.10.2 - .255 should work, as long as you allow RDP to the Mini and also Windows FW does not block it.

To come from the WAN, you need to forward port *:3389 (WAN) to 10.1.10.12:3389 and make sure the Comcast Gateway allows port 3389 to pass through. Comcast may block 3389 on the WAN. For RDP, you should use a specific username list, and not allow access to any user. Wide-open access is open to attack and will compromise your LAN network.

How to enable Windows Remote Desktop on Mac OS X Running Bootcamp Windows 8.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.