Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers: Sorting a column with formulas

Hello and thanks in advance for your help, here is a part of my table full of formulas as you can see on the bottom:

User uploaded file

I would like to sort this table by date. I don't know if this is important, but there is a filter on, hiding for example row 3-21 because there is no text in it.

When I try to sort it the "normal" way

User uploaded file

this happens:

User uploaded file

Some rows disappear! And to make it even more confusing: They come back when I resort, but unsorted:User uploaded file

I hope someone knows or understands my problem and can help me...
Greets from Germany!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 1:50 PM

18 replies

Jun 28, 2015 2:13 PM in response to SGIII

Wow, thank you for the quick answer!
No, I think I can not. This table is uniting 3 different tables that are all beginning from 14.09.15 and ending 28.09.15. So there will be 3 times every date when I have completed the other tables.
I already tried to give every 14.09.15 a "1" in an extra column, every 15.09.15 a "2" and so on to sort the table afterwards with this numbers. But the same problem appears:

I have discovered know, that sorting the table changes some (but not all!) formulas in it to errors:

User uploaded file

Jun 28, 2015 2:36 PM in response to Blancaforthh

Hi Blancaforthh,

I think the key will be how you bring the data into this table. With creative use of index columns in your tables of origin you may be able to bring only the data that is relevant and in the order you are looking for. This would be easier in the long run than sorting (it looks like your formulas are not "sort safe" anyway).

quinn

Jun 28, 2015 2:50 PM in response to Blancaforthh

In Sort & Filter, under the Sort tab, you add the Datum column, and there should be a Sort Entire Table selection by default. Further, there is a choice to Sort by: Datum Ascending, and a Then by: Datum Ascending. These are the defaults.

Are you taking the above defaults, or are you attempting to Sort by Datum, and then by Uhrzeit (time of day)?

Jun 28, 2015 3:24 PM in response to VikingOSX

@t quinn
Thanks for your reply!
I tried an alternative formula "INDEX" but it seems like this isn't "sort safe" as well... (sorting changes some entries)
I liked the way showing the cells I want concerning the cell F3 in this case. F3 is a drop down menu where I have a lot of names in it. It was my way "bypassing" the standard filters because its faster. The alternative would be 18 different filters or one in which I would have to write the name every time...
To sum up, I would love to have the option to sort my formulas. I don't understand why it is not possible, is there any reason? If not, I would write something to Apple.

@VikingOSX
Thanks for your reply!
This is exactly what I have done, but unfortunately it messed up the formulas. I only want to sort datum (and not then by the time of the day).

Maybe there is a way to make a second table which is using only the "text" and not the formula?

Jun 28, 2015 5:23 PM in response to Blancaforthh

Hi Blancaforthh,

I know I am going to wish I had some German as we go along here but oh, well.

What do your source tables look like? What info are you trying to bring over? What does the formula you have in A2 look like? Is it filled down the column? Is it the same across the row? What are the choices in F1 and what are you actually doing there?

Bringing your data from 3 different tables into a summary in a usable fashion is an interesting problem but not impossible. It does require more info.

quinn

Jun 29, 2015 6:57 AM in response to t quinn

Hi Blancaforthh,

A thought on the overall structure of your document. It is much easier to have a single data table and then to draw out subsets from that. I don't know if this is practical for you but you might consider reversing the data flow. Enter all your data into one table. Easily sorted. Bring data into three specific tables as summary tables. This would be much less complicated and would probably scale better if you end up with more than 2 weeks of entries.

quinn

Jun 29, 2015 12:17 PM in response to t quinn

Dear t quinn,

thanks again for your help!

User uploaded file

This is how my source table looks like. I put 3 tables together to 1 because I thought maybe it would be easier later for the formulas...
As you can see, there are three big sections: morning, afternoon and evening. In the last column (not to see in the picture) are the names of the teachers. There are the 3 sections because no teacher is supposed to do more in one day.

I try to get the data of this table into another one that has not those sections. The new one should show the schedule for one selected teacher as in the pictures from my first post.

I don't even know if this is possible. At this moment the first 300 rows look for the teacher given in my dropdown menu in cell F3 and copy the data from the morning-section. The next 300 rows look for the afternoon-section and the last ones for the evening. Then I filtered the empty cells and voila: I had only the data for the teacher in F3.

But: This is the reason why I wanted to sort my new table. It will give me first the morning from 14.09. to 28.09., then the afternoon and then the evening. I hope you understand the problem?

I don't know how, but maybe there is a possibility to let Numbers first look for all morning, afternoon and evening dates, before looking at the next day. Then I wouldn't have to sort the table.

Jun 29, 2015 1:55 PM in response to Blancaforthh

I agree with quinn. It is much easier to put your data in one well-formed table and then filter/sort as needed.

Having a big table with different sections and white space in between and lots of blank cells makes things far more complicated than they need to be.

You may find it helpful to study some of the included templates (File > New and pick from the chooser) to see some examples of effective use of Numbers tables.

SG

Jun 29, 2015 5:34 PM in response to Blancaforthh

Hi Blancaforthh,

It seems to me that by using one large data table your current problems disappear. If you sort the one large table by teachers you will have what you asked for initially. Teachers will be grouped together and the dates will follow as they were entered.

There is a freeflowing quality that leaves the possibility that a teacher is assigned duplicate shifts on the same day. Whoops!

Here is an approach to flag duplicates:

User uploaded file

Just looking at the table, you can see we have a date on each line and an added column for morning, noon or night. I used a popup menu for my example but using the shift times you could automate this with a lookup table. My teachers would also be in a popup menu.

In order to catch duplicate shifts I used the formula you see.

J2= =COUNTIFS(A,A2,B,B2,I,I2) filled down.

This counts the times that teacher, date and shift are the same. You can see I have been inattentive.

In order to make it simpler, I would set the text to white and create a conditional formatting rule:

User uploaded file

I have a table where I wanted to see clearly when the next day started. I used a conditional highlighting rule for that too. If the date is the same as the preceding one it is grey.

With the large table it will be easy to pull any data you want to other tables.

Let me know what you think.

quinn

Jun 29, 2015 9:51 PM in response to Blancaforthh

Hello

Two solutions I can suggest.

1) Use Numbers v2 (Numbers '09) if you have it, which will behave properly in sorting table with formulae referencing external addresses.

2) Use absolute row addressing in formulae when referencing external addresses. E.g.

Use

=External::A$2

in lieu of

=External::A2

which will prevent Numbers v3 from changing row addresses in formula when the containing cell is moved by sorting operation.

Hope this may help

H

Jun 30, 2015 8:38 AM in response to Blancaforthh

Hello

Here's another method using index columns to link two tables. This should be sort-safe in both Numbers v2 and v3. Also it does not use absolute references so that the formulae are easily filled across range.

The following tables are to demonstrate the concept.

E.g.

User uploaded file

View A1 data A2 =INDEX(Data::A,MATCH(B2,Data::B,0),1) A3 =INDEX(Data::A,MATCH(B3,Data::B,0),1) A4 =INDEX(Data::A,MATCH(B4,Data::B,0),1) A5 =INDEX(Data::A,MATCH(B5,Data::B,0),1) A6 =INDEX(Data::A,MATCH(B6,Data::B,0),1) A7 =INDEX(Data::A,MATCH(B7,Data::B,0),1) A8 =INDEX(Data::A,MATCH(B8,Data::B,0),1) A9 =INDEX(Data::A,MATCH(B9,Data::B,0),1) A10 =INDEX(Data::A,MATCH(B10,Data::B,0),1) A11 =INDEX(Data::A,MATCH(B11,Data::B,0),1) B1 index B2 1 B3 2 B4 3 B5 4 B6 5 B7 6 B8 7 B9 8 B10 9 B11 10

Data A1 data A2 87 A3 81 A4 40 A5 3 A6 27 A7 14 A8 36 A9 13 A10 96 A11 77 B1 index B2 1 B3 2 B4 3 B5 4 B6 5 B7 6 B8 7 B9 8 B10 9 B11 10

Notes.

The forumla using reference by index:

=INDEX(Data::A,MATCH(B2,Data::B,0),1)

is to replace the direct reference:

=Data::A2

This referencing scheme is sort-safe. You may sort both Data table and View table freely without breaking inter-references.

Formula in View:A2 can be filled down.

Tables are built with Numbers v2 but this method should be applicable to Numbers v3 as well.

Good luck,

H

Numbers: Sorting a column with formulas

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.