Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why isn't my mac reading all the files on my external hd?

First off, I should say that this is my very first Mac, so while I've had iPods and an iPad for awhile, this is all pretty new to me. I have a refurbished Mac Mini from 2011 with a 2.3GHz intel core i5 and 8 GB of memory. The OS is Yosemite 10.10.3. I have everything I used on my old PC on an external hd. My new-to-me Mac Mini reads some of the files on there, but not all of them. In particular, hundreds of music files. What do I do to find them again? I have not tried any troubleshooting steps because, as a total newbie, I was worried that doing things on my own would only result in some sort of tragedy. Can anyone help me?

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 28, 2015 2:50 PM

6 replies

Jun 28, 2015 3:05 PM in response to lllaass

What I mean by "read" is seeing them at all. I know they're there because I can still find them using my old PC, but when I search for them when the hd is hooked up to my Mac, it doesn't see them at all. There are serious problems with my old PC (which is why I bought a Mac a few days ago), that might interfere with using the migration assistant from what I am seeing in the information to which you linked.

Thank you for the incredibly speedy reply. I truly appreciate it.

Jun 28, 2015 3:17 PM in response to lllaass

I think I'm explaining myself very badly and I apologize for that. I can find a great many files on the drive. It's only some of them which don't seem to exist when I look for them from my Mac. I type in their names in search and they aren't found. I am looking in the Music folders I created on the drive and I've also searched on the drive in general.

Why isn't my mac reading all the files on my external hd?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.